Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Aftermarket serpentine belt

  1. #11
    Senior Member MightyMirageMpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    wi
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    611
    Thanks
    343
    Thanked 224 Times in 142 Posts
    The tensioner isnt spring loaded its old school bolt and nut


    I would consider the consequence of replacing the belt yourself carefully. If the real issue is the alternator is failing, or water pump (whatever) and you replace the belt and the real issue fails, then they can deny your warrantee claim because "you were at fault screwing with the belt"

    Nobody else really has this issue Have you considered a factory replacement? They won't know, then



  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Country is Europe, state is Germany
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    322
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 212 Times in 117 Posts
    There are plenty of reputed belt manufacturers, and they all make good belts!
    The Mirage belt is properly designed, has ample reserves, and has a simple and excellent tensioner.

    If you really do want to do it yourself, you may want to look at the following thread:


    Belt Tension, Howto


    It tells you how to get the tension exactly to factory specification, and shows you how to check the exact tension. You want that tension to be exactly right!


    According to your description, there is probably something else wrong that even the most inexperienced mechanic could identify in minutes! For crying out loud, go to some other place!
    Last edited by foama; 11-05-2017 at 09:28 AM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

    poorman1 (11-05-2017)

  4. #13
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,599
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 98 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    What has lead to you folks replacing your serpentine belt? Is it mileage or wear? I'm only at 35k and haven't given any thought to belt replacement.
    I lost my bottom splash guard so I think my original one started wearing out faster - especially getting wet and all.

    IIRC replaced mine at 55k miles or so.

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    138
    Thanks
    61
    Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
    I'd take it to another dealership for a second opinion and to get a new belt that is adjusted properly.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)


  6. #15
    Senior Member IchabodCrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON. CA
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    547
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 197 Times in 129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    There are plenty of reputed belt manufacturers, and they all make good belts!
    The Mirage belt is properly designed, has ample reserves, and has a simple and excellent tensioner.

    If you really do want to do it yourself, you may want to look at the following thread:


    Belt Tension, Howto


    It tells you how to get the tension exactly to factory specification, and shows you how to check the exact tension. You want that tension to be exactly right!


    According to your description, there is probably something else wrong that even the most inexperienced mechanic could identify in minutes! For crying out loud, go to some other place!
    There is no other dealer within 350 miles so...
    As for easy diagnosis I just came from the dealer. They simply cranked the adjuster a full 1/4" of thread on the bolt. It's tighter than a guitar string right now.
    This is all part of the "unacceptable rattle" issue which dealer and Mitsubishi Corp. refuse to resolve and are denying warranty. Mitsu Corp. "is adamant that this is a normal characteristic". If it's normal then why are none of you experiencing it?
    Whatever. Typical car company. They're all the same when money's on the line.
    Will weld for beer.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)


  7. #16
    Senior Member Cobrajet's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,239
    Thanks
    360
    Thanked 628 Times in 377 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Angrybeaver View Post
    What has lead to you folks replacing your serpentine belt? Is it mileage or wear? I'm only at 35k and haven't given any thought to belt replacement.
    Been keeping an eye on mine. It has always been my experience that simple age is far more detrimental to rubber belts than usage. I just take a peek at my belt every oil change, looking for cracks or fraying. I'd much rather take a chance on running a 2-year-old timing belt with 80k on it than a 12-year-old timing belt with 15k on it, just as an example.

    I have just under 80k on mine and the serpentine belt looks fine. Just make sure there is no physical damage to your belt and you will be fine, too. If it ain't broke...

  8. #17
    Senior Member IchabodCrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON. CA
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    547
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 197 Times in 129 Posts
    On a side note.. I could not find a single reference to the serpentine belt or it's proper adjustment in the so called owner's manual. Am I missing it?
    Will weld for beer.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)


  9. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    ab
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    448
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 270 Times in 152 Posts
    I don't know about the owners manual, but I doubt it will have it.
    The service manual shows one weird way using a tool with a microphone. Page 11A8-11A11. Or by deflection. I don't know how to copy the pages and post them.
    I just go by feel and make sure it doesn't squeal at all under load with the ac on.

  10. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    370
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked 112 Times in 72 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Been keeping an eye on mine. It has always been my experience that simple age is far more detrimental to rubber belts than usage. I just take a peek at my belt every oil change, looking for cracks or fraying. I'd much rather take a chance on running a 2-year-old timing belt with 80k on it than a 12-year-old timing belt with 15k on it, just as an example.

    I have just under 80k on mine and the serpentine belt looks fine. Just make sure there is no physical damage to your belt and you will be fine, too. If it ain't broke...
    The mirage has a timing chain.

    It's normal to have some cracking on a serp belt though.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

    bolo (11-06-2017)

  12. #20
    Senior Member IchabodCrane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Thunder Bay, ON. CA
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    547
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked 197 Times in 129 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've been using this one with no problems. Attachment 10178 Damn picture spun sideways on me.
    Fummins.. is this part # you're using in the pic?
    It doesn't come up as fitting the Mirage.


    Will weld for beer.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •