Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket serpentine belt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Continental/Goodyear 4060485 is cross-referenced to Dayco 5060485. I always use manufacture cross reference on their websites before using any other sites part number equivalent. I installed the 4060485 and it's a perfect fit. Pic installed below.
    According to amazon that part does not fit my 2014 mitsubishi mirage!!! Arghhh!!!

Went to the dealer just now. They were out of belts. This just ain't working somehow....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    According to amazon that part does not fit my 2014 mitsubishi mirage!!! Arghhh!!!

Went to the dealer just now. They were out of belts. This just ain't working somehow....
    Did you look at my post? It fits. There's a picture to see it installed. Don't follow Amazon..go to manufactures website. 4060485 fits all Mirages 14-18.

Read the whole thread.
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-08-2018)

I'm pretty sure I used that dayco number. It had a ford belt routing on the back of the package. I use an acdelco belt now. Part number is 6k483 20mmx1241mm

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/m...rive,belt,8900
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    The tensioner isnt spring loaded its old school bolt and nut
    We really need our resident engineers to retrofit a spring loaded tensioner. Imagine, no adjustment until the first squeal. Then you really know it's time for a new belt.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It looks like I need to replace the belts on both my car and my GF's. We are hearing some noise on startup and when driving through water. It is nothing like the old Geo Metros but figure it is better to replace these sooner than later.

Is there any brand that is coming up better than the others?

I see there is a guide to tensioning the belt by plucking it. You couldn't really overtighten the Geo Metro belts. I was always amazed at how tight you could get them and not hurt anything. Is it bad to be a tad on the tight side?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    We really need our resident engineers to retrofit a spring loaded tensioner. Imagine, no adjustment until the first squeal. Then you really know it's time for a new belt.
    I would not want this. If that spring would ever fail, the belt would be lost. Ever see a serpentine belt on the road?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    It looks like I need to replace the belts on both my car and my GF's. We are hearing some noise on startup and when driving through water. It is nothing like the old Geo Metros but figure it is better to replace these sooner than later.

I see there is a guide to tensioning the belt by plucking it. You couldn't really overtighten the Geo Metro belts. I was always amazed at how tight you could get them and not hurt anything. Is it bad to be a tad on the tight side?

Conor
    As always, I recommend Gatorbacks, but Daycos are a solid choice too.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post

These belts do not get longer/bigger with age, just a little of the rib surface gets worn off. The bolt and nut tensioner is simple, reliable and does the job perfectly. A spring loaded tensioner would also bring reliability issues. I've had them break off or the roller running crooked on many Mercedes for example. I had to overnight in a Mercedes truck in the most remote place of Europe because of that.
    At first squeal a simple retightening is usually fully sufficient, but it is worthwhile to check the belt for cracks or obvious signs of wear. Then I would replace it with one from the very many brands available.

We have a belt tensioner how to in this forum:

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-Tension-Howto
    Last edited by foama; 02-17-2019 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post

Conor
    When they start to get noisy I just tighten them up with it running under load, ac on headlights rear defrost, heater on high....., tighten it. Rev it up, it it squeaks, tighten it up some more.
    I’ve used Dayco, ac delco and now gates brand. They all do the same thing. Black, rubber, spin around. Never had one break yet, I replace them after tightening them a few times.

Just loosen the 12 mm nut before you start engine(obviously) then tighten the 12mm tension bolt. There’s usually no need to loosen the 14mm/9/16” bolt at the bottom unless you’re replacing the belt.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

daleWV (02-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 82 Toyota trucks used the bolt and nut to adjust all three belts. Nice to see the mirage carrying on the four decade tradition