Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subcompact car choices are disappearing again in the U.S.

Subcompact car choices are disappearing again in the U.S.

Name:  rip.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  62.0 KB
    (Image: Oliver Tacke)

Small cars are dropping like flies! Blame it on:

1) Unusually low U.S. gas prices, 3 years running ...

... and ...

2) The "crossover" frenzy: a shift to cars where owners (often older) can "sit up higher". (My aunt just traded her Mazda 3 sedan for a Ford Escape for this very reason.)

The result of poor sales means automakers are dropping small cars from their line-ups:

• Mazda reversed plans to bring its new Mazda2 hatch to the States/Canada (although Toyota sells a rebadged version of the Mazda2 sedan as the Yaris).
    • Ford canceled the Fiesta 3-cylinder 1.0t option in the U.S. and is likely dropping the Fiesta entirely once the Ecosport crossover takes its place.
    • Smart will no longer be selling a gasoline-powered version of the Fortwo -- EV only from now on.
    • Chrysler dropped the Dart (not a subcompact, but it was their smallest & most efficient car)
    • GM scaled back production at the plant that makes the Sonic, due to declining sales
    • Hyundai dropped the Accent hatchback in the States (but not in Canada) for 2018; the sedan remains

What other small cars are facing the axe?

Well, Fiat 500 sales have collapsed, for one. (To less than half of Mirage sales.) I wonder how much longer it'll be around.

Is the Mirage safe?

I think so.

U.S. Mirage sales have bucked the subcompact sales trend, increasing every year since it's been available. And the company doesn't (yet) have a crossover that can easily replace it in its lineup.

If I were a betting man, I'd say the odds are high we'll see the next generation Mirage in North America, despite what's happening to the rest of the segment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

cortisol (11-29-2018),fc321 (06-02-2018),Fummins (11-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's sad to hear.

That sucks! Gas just went up here to $1.24/liter which I believe works out to $3.66?usd a gallon. Someone may want to double check my math.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-03-2017 at 06:32 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Gas just went up here to $1.24/liter which I believe works out to $3.66?usd a gallon.
    Wow...is that right? 1 US gallon = 3.8 liters (roughly). At $1.24/liter that's $4.70 per gallon?!?

If that's what you guys are paying, that would be considered Armageddon in the United States.

OK...i just did a quick search and that is correct. Canadian's pay roughly $2 more per gallon of gas than in the US. This is primarily from all the taxes and the strong Canadian dollar. I had no idea there was such a discrepancy between the two countries.

Holy cow...why isn't everyone up there driving a Mirage?!?
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 11-03-2017 at 07:14 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Wow...is that right? 1 US gallon = 3.8 liters (roughly). At $1.24/liter that's $4.70 per gallon?!?

If that's what you guys are paying, that would be considered Armageddon in the United States.

OK...i just did a quick search and that is correct. Canadian's pay roughly $2 more per gallon of gas than in the US. This is primarily from all the taxes and the strong Canadian dollar. I had no idea there was such a discrepancy between the two countries.

Holy cow...why isn't everyone up there driving a Mirage?!?
    I didn't realize it was that far off either! In Alberta we pay around 30cent/liter in taxes, plus 5% gov sales tax. 1.24/liter is in Canuckistani pesos. When you factor in the exhange rate it's 3.68/gallon USD. Which is still high compared to everytown USA. But minimum wage is almost 14/hr and going up to 15 next year.
    At least diesel is cheaper at the momment, I average a whooping 14mpg in my pig.
    Last edited by Fummins; 11-03-2017 at 07:46 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

1) Unusually low U.S. gas prices, 3 years running ...
    Yay more fuel savings for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    2) The "crossover" frenzy: a shift to cars where owners (often older) can "sit up higher". (My aunt just traded her Mazda 3 sedan for a Ford Escape for this very reason.)
    I always preferred hatchbacks for this reason. Not sure why they just started considering this.

At least we know where the bad drivers are at next. I have not met one good crossover driver. Well, Subaru drivers, excluding the Impreza, generally have low reaction times and drive like grandmas. So far CrossTrek drivers are one of the worst on my list, then comes Honda Pilots.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Across the board, you can see manufacturers going into the CUV market. I think Mitsubishi going into the 'electric' CUV market is awesome for them.

Also, rumors on Social Media is that the next gen Mirage could be coming with the 1.3L turbo engine. Just rumors but heck, I'd get a turbocharged Mirage!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-06-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    The Mirage is already a CUV with ground clearance of 6.3 inches. That's more than a Rav4 (6.1), Buick Encore / Chevy Trax, (6.2), Mazda CX3 (6.2). Slap some fender cladding on it and sell 100,000+ more of them a year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

fc321 (06-02-2018),MetroMPG (06-01-2018)

Fender-cladded Mirage!

Thread: How long before Mitsubishi "SUV-ifies" the Mirage?

Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Yay more fuel savings for me!
    Unfortunately, since originally posting this thread, U.S. gas prices have gone on a tear and are now at 3 year highs. I wonder if/when that will affect Mirage sales numbers. We'll have some new ones today sometime.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I paid 2.89$ at the pump today. I had noticed a few months ago myself that the Mirage actually is a tiny CUV if you look at this photo closely you will notice @inuvik

and here is a photo of a CUV: Buck Encore

Yeah just put some larger wheels/tyres on it and there you go

Last edited by fc321; 10-09-2020 at 07:56 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)