Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting story (electric Tesla S emits more CO2 than Mitsubishi Mirage)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The 17 is roller cam too.

Why's it weigh so much more? 50lbs or so?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    The 17 is roller cam too.

Why's it weigh so much more? 50lbs or so?
    I’m not sure why the 17’s picked up 50lbs of weight. Brakes are larger, that’s a few pounds along with heavier springs but I wouldn’t think that would add that much weight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (11-12-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The article and study point out the widespread misconception of consumers and the purposeful misdirection by producers of so-called environmentally friendly products.
    Consumers are never given straight facts, only the rosy end product statistics regarding environmental good Vs evil.
    The same study would yield similar results with "bio-diesel", methanol blend gasoline, wind turbines, silicon based solar panels, composite wood products and more.
    Global warming/climate change is more marketing gimmick than genuine concern and the products offered prove it.
    How else do we explain a world where one can brag about driving a Prius while buying prepackaged meals, buying anything at Wal-mart and using Swiffer products at home every day?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mirage vs. Tesla for carbon footprint comparison seems lame to me. A better comparison would be a comparable EV like the Spark or iMiev - and yes, I know they are both no longer in production. I did a quick google search and didn't come up with numbers, but the small models must surely be better than a Model S with it's juvenile mode. I don't have big issues with Musk or Tesla and am happy we have choices. Just wish Americans currently liked small cars so we could have even more choices.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Mirage vs. Tesla for carbon footprint comparison seems lame to me. A better comparison would be a comparable EV like the Spark or iMiev - and yes, I know they are both no longer in production. I did a quick google search and didn't come up with numbers, but the small models must surely be better than a Model S with it's juvenile mode. I don't have big issues with Musk or Tesla and am happy we have choices. Just wish Americans currently liked small cars so we could have even more choices.
    Agreed.. I would try electric cars if my daily commute wasn't 50 miles daily and below 0°C 5 months of the year.
    I would like more choices in small gas vehicles. Maybe a small truck (fuel efficient)?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As flawed as this study is and even though it is common knowledge, it's still nice to have an affirmation that the Mirage is an ecological car among gas burning cars and not just an economical car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Agreed.. I would try electric cars if my daily commute wasn't 50 miles daily and below 0°C 5 months of the year.
    Chevy Bolt would handle that effortlessly. Big range (>350 km in warm weather). I drove one - pretty impressive and lots of fun (torque!).

The 2018 Leaf's range would more than comfortably handle it too (150 miles = 241 km in warm weather).

Of course they're both expensive new, yet they have a depreciation curve like a Mirage's. Better to pick up a used one in a few years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I’m not sure why the 17’s picked up 50lbs of weight. Brakes are larger, that’s a few pounds along with heavier springs but I wouldn’t think that would add that much weight.
    Also more sound deadning material. I think only increasing 50lbs was pretty great considering how improved it became.