Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow (or... how are you prepping your Mirage for winter?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So far, all I've gotten are snow tires, General Altimax Artic snow tires (175-65-14). Not sure if the fluids are up to the cold winter weather but last year, i got through with the basic stuff.

Haven't gotten any snow here...literally just a small coating and then it goes away once the sun hits it. I am looking forward to the snow season, just to see how the Mirage will perform with snow tires now.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

We've had snow on the ground since Halloween. Got 6-8" right now.
    I just put snow tires on the cars and make sure they all have a snow brush and extension cord. They get plugged in when it gets close to -20C/-4F. We use winter washer fluid all year so there's no chance of freezing up or forgetting to switch fluids.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What's your experiences with the Mirage in deep snow? Last year, it was a 'bit' difficult for the Mirage's rear to slide out(which is awesome). And the Mirage actually does a pretty decent job of reducing slip or rear end slippage with the Traction Control on. I'm contemplating if I should put some more weight in the back this year if we get more snow. Not too sure yet. Also, how much air are you guys putting in your tires?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    What's your experiences with the Mirage in deep snow? Last year, it was a 'bit' difficult for the Mirage's rear to slide out(which is awesome). And the Mirage actually does a pretty decent job of reducing slip or rear end slippage with the Traction Control on. I'm contemplating if I should put some more weight in the back this year if we get more snow. Not too sure yet. Also, how much air are you guys putting in your tires?
    Are you running snow tires all around or just the front? I haven't heard complaints about the cars we have. Except for one driver that wanted sandbags in the back. That just an isolated problem between the seat and the steering wheel though. I wouldn't put weight in the back but that's just me. More weight could be a hindrance in some cases. They keep the main roads here plowed fairly quickly so there's little need to break trail.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sandbags in the back is common for RWD not front.

I've never had my mirage in snow yet lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...just an isolated problem between the seat and the steering wheel though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are you running snow tires all around or just the front? I haven't heard complaints about the cars we have. Except for one driver that wanted sandbags in the back. That just an isolated problem between the seat and the steering wheel though. I wouldn't put weight in the back but that's just me. More weight could be a hindrance in some cases. They keep the main roads here plowed fairly quickly so there's little need to break trail.
    I've got tires all around.

If anything, the only time i remember the rears 'sliding' out was when there was clearly black ice. On thick/slushy snow, it was totally fine. I'm really confident that the snow tires will work amazingly well. Because last year, during the snow season, I was just running on the stock Dunlops.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The mirage with the dunlops is even an impressive little setup for the snow. I was very pleased last year, Did very well. Its not a 4x4 but i really don't recall having any trouble at all. I don't Like the way the traction control works so i usually just turn it off, pedal down and let it eat. Lol. The ABS still is active and that is whats important.

This year my tires have 30k on them vs 10k, though so well see

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ours came with mounted snowtires, which are getting picked up and installed tomorrow.

Otherwise, the 10k winch, shackles, tow straps, kinetic straps, chains and traction boards are all ready to go! Just... have to hope the wife or I is home with the Jeep when I or the wife gets stuck in the MIrage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    Just... have to hope the wife or I is home with the Jeep when I or the wife gets stuck in the MIrage
    Please let us know if you do get your Mirage stuck, including photos. I don't think we have many examples of problems in winter driving, but you never know. Here's hoping you never get stuck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)