Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Front Seat Divot

Name:  seat.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  36.2 KB

Yesterday, I noticed a slight divot in the driver's seat. I touched it, and there's essentially a hole in the foam padding. Is this supposed to be here, or is the foam degrading?

Also, my fabric is puckering a little be, as in it feels like it should be stretched across the frame more and is slightly loose. Anyone else have this issue?

2017 Mirage ES with 12,500 miles on it, FYI.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (08-29-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Theyre just cheap seats with cheap foam. I put a thick memory foam seat cover from Walmart on mine, problem solved. after 50k miles, its almost a must to have seat covers on these cheap seats.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Theyre just cheap seats with cheap foam. I put a thick memory foam seat cover from Walmart on mine, problem solved. after 50k miles, its almost a must to have seat covers on these cheap seats.
    I have a 2014 Mirage myself, and my driver's seat has faded, and the fabric has stretched and seamed a bit where my butt sits. No rips, or feelings like the seat will split in two any time soon. But definitely starting to show 120,000 km's of wear 5+ years of driving.

Another quick thing: the other day, the plastic cover for my driver's seat belt came loose.
    Like the rectangular black cover that is near the carjack, under the driver's seat. Some of the plastic parts seem to be flimsy on my Mirage.

The 1.2 Mirage motor seems good, and the Mirage overall seems sturdy. Got 4.3 L / 100 km's earlier, so that's great fuel economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have taken the fabric off my seats and there should not be a hole where your finger is. Foam is formed when a liquid filled with millions of very small bubbles becomes a spongy solid. Sometimes in cheap foam the liquid between each tiny bubble breaks down forming a larger bubble that then becomes a void or hole, and I suspect that is what you are feeling.

However, in the middle of the seat there is a crevice if you will, running across the seat, and that is there by design.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (08-29-2019),Eggman (08-29-2019)

Was there possibly a turtle head poking out causing the divot? These things happen.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (08-29-2019),Basic (08-29-2019)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info.

Cheap seats or not, they shouldn't degrade with only 12,500 miles on them. 125,000 is one thing, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Covered under Warranty?

I agree, the only problems I've seen with the seats other than stitching tearing was the foam on the rh side of the backrest breaking apart and pushing into the back of the seat. Then your back rests on the metal upright bar. Not too comfy.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Cheap seats or not, they shouldn't degrade with only 12,500 miles on them. 125,000 is one thing, however.
    Honestly my seat has 120,000 kms worth of wear, or what 80,000 miles or whatever. Way more than yours. Anyways Subcompact Culture my point is, even at 10,000 km's the first thing I noticed wear and tear wise with my own Mirage was the driver's seat fading, crimpling, etc.

Way worse now, nothing has split. Annoying yes but I'd leave it. Careful with salty winter boots and the car jack, mine's got rust on it. I oil my car yearly but spots like that get missed. Dumb spot to put the car jack, which has only been used in home reno projects thank goodness.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)