Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from New Jersey!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Hello from New Jersey!

I am Rob. Don't own a Mirage yet. But serious about getting one. In fact I'm test driving a 2015 ES today. On sale at a used car dealer for $9,000. Has 17,600 miles on the clock. Should be interesting. My first test of a Mirage.

I was one of the first to actually own a Yugo 30 years ago. Retired now, so I have time to explore small cars that have, shall we say, mixed reputations. I also owned a Chevy Sprint so I'm know a little about 3 cylinder cars. Always was amusing to get a tune up on the Sprint and see an entry on the bill for 4 spark plugs.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MirageMan2017 For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-15-2017),Eggman (11-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome. $9000 seems about the high end of a 15' right now, but if you like it I say go for it. I am one of the few that paid 16k out the door because I saw what I liked without worrying I spent to much. 25k miles on my 17' and I couldn't be happier. They are great little cars and the 3 cylinder is quite unique and able for this light of car. I myself had a Sprint and loved the **** out of it, and this car is ten times that. Keep us updated on your hopefully future purchase. Also... we have a great forum and community here.
    (blank signature)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-15-2017),MetroMPG (11-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Welcome! There are LOTS of Metro/Sprint refugees here, including myself. I bought a brand new 2015 Mirage ES to replace my 1997 Geo Metro in December of 2014. It had 14 miles on it when I bought it...now it has just shy of 80,000. Not one problem.

The Mirage actually gets slightly better mileage overall than my 3-cylinder Metro did, and I get automatic climate control, cruise, fog lights, Bluetooth, etc. Best money I ever spent.

If you like small, cheap, simple, puddle-jumper cars, you will certainly like the Mirage. They are as simple as a stone axe, and just about as reliable.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Welcome to the forum!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, MirageMan!

You're the first person I know of who owned a Yugo (or will admit to it!).

I agree with Alex: that's the upper end of pricing for a 2015, even with low miles. If the dealer got it at auction, you can be certain there is A LOT of negotiation room on that asking price.

Is it CVT or manual?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, MirageMan!

You're the first person I know of who owned a Yugo (or will admit to it!).

I agree with Alex: that's the upper end of pricing for a 2015, even with low miles. If the dealer got it at auction, you can be certain there is A LOT of negotiation room on that asking price.

Is it CVT or manual?
    It's a CVT.

Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, I actually wound up getting a second Yugo, which was better than the first. A couple years after that I was ready to go for a third, because the newer model (I forget what year) was going to go to Bosch fuel injection. But, the war killed the country and the car.

My favourite Yugo, also from a serial (and concurrent!) Yugo owner:

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  11.9 KB

The one on the left is an $800 conversion to electric power.

Even more details: http://www.evalbum.com/762

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    A few random comments...

1. Ditto what these guys are saying about price. There were huge rebates back in early 2016 and it wasn't unusual to pick up a new leftover Mirage ES CVT for around $11K. Depreciation on these cars is pretty bad. At $9,000...that better be one of the nicest used Mirages in the country.

2. Spend a couple of bucks on a Carfax or AutoCheck report. Even if those reports come back clean, Google the VIN number. You might be surprised what you find...especially if the car has any kind of salvage or auction history.

3. A well-maintained Mirage with 17,000 miles should still have all 4 of its original tires. If this car does not have 4 Dunlop Enasave tires...or 2 of the tires have been replaced for some reason...it's time to start asking questions. A small percentage of these cars have rear axle alignment problems that can wear out a set of tires in 10-20K miles. This issue can only be corrected with a new axle (a $1,000+ repair at the dealer). A low-mileage Mirage with 2 or 4 new tires could be an indicator of potentially expensive alignment issues.

Here's a private-owner 2015 Mirage similar to the one you are looking at. This guy has had this for sale for almost a year. I suspect he owes too much on it and can't take any less.

2015 Mirage ES CVT 10K miles $9750

Here's a really nice Yugo for sale if you're interested...

1988 Yugo GVS, 30K miles, original tires, new timing belt/water pump, $3900

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Welcome to the site. I agree with the others that the price is on the high end as well. If you shop around you'll find them for MUCH less.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Welcome! Looking forward to hearing your impressions after the test drive.