Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody figure out an ATV winch? :P (Also: winter tires?)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Anybody figure out an ATV winch? :P (Also: winter tires?)

Hey guys,
    I'm here because I just finished putting 1000 kms on my 2018 Mirage and I love it, so I'm a fan.
    I'm a vehicle tech with the military, I love to drive, I like fixing cars, trucks and tanks and whatnot, and I look forward to talking to you all about keeping my car in good shape.

Couple quick questions come to mind. Has anybody successfully mounted a 3500lbs ATV winch to a Mirage yet, possibly through having the cable come out of the tow hook port in the bumper cover? If so, I'd love to see pics of that, looking to do it to mine. Second question, does anybody have a line on affordable and available tires for this little car? Nobody seems to have them in stock and the winter season is barrelling down as I type.

Pics coming in a bit.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Well my brother and I thought about getting a small winch for my car. We didn't really know where to put it. Probably would need to cut part of the bumper and connect it to the frame. Possibly need a custom bracket.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Welcome!

Congrats on your Mirage. What made you pick it over, say, the Micra?

Mitsu in Ontario was recently advertising a "free" set of winter tires/wheels with the purchase of the Mirage (as well as other models), so we know they're available in the stock size.

But a lot of people just go with a different size for snows, and when it comes time to replace the somewhat expensive and possibly hard to find Dunlops.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: don't forget to make a garage page...

Garage empty: add car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

Congrats on your Mirage. What made you pick it over, say, the Micra?
    That's a pretty loaded question and I have tons of answers, but I think the best and simplest one is that I hate the exterior styling on the Micra. Runner-up reasons are, the Mirage costs less and burns less fuel. It absolutely sucks owning a car you don't want to drive just to save a couple bucks.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome!

Mitsu in Ontario was recently advertising a "free" set of winter tires/wheels with the purchase of the Mirage (as well as other models), so we know they're available in the stock size.

But a lot of people just go with a different size for snows, and when it comes time to replace the somewhat expensive and possibly hard to find Dunlops.
    Personally, I was hoping to get the right size in Michelins, but they don't manufacture them. Canadian Tire has Pirellis that look decent, and they're on sale right now for $86 or so, but they don't have them in stock. Guess I better check with the dealer, see if they have a good price on the right sizes.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Well my brother and I thought about getting a small winch for my car. We didn't really know where to put it. Probably would need to cut part of the bumper and connect it to the frame. Possibly need a custom bracket.
    Yeah, I figured that might be the case. Although, I just thought of another solution where I could attach the winch mount plate to a ratchet strap, then use it to pull from anywhere else and just hook up to the tow hook. Think I'm gonna do that instead of messing with the car. Keep it OE. But thanks for the answer. Too bad it's not an easy fix or I'd go for it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    How about a portable winch?

Internet search: 12V portable winch

Warn: Portable Winches

WARN 85700 XT17 Portable Winch Kit

Northern Tool: Portable DC powered winchesTwo winches - one for $170 the other for $440.

Master Lock 2953AT 12-Volt DC Portable Winch

Or consider a drawbar mounted hitch.

CURT 11394 Class 1 Trailer Hitch

Hope this helps.

And welcome to the forum.

Edit: that is a hitch with a hitch-mounted winch.
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-16-2017 at 03:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quattrotires.com is where I get mine from. They're way cheaper than anyone I've found locally. I just ordered the gf some cheapo snow tires on rims $550 tax incl,shipped to my door across the country.
    I wouldn't trust Canadian tire to turn a bolt on my kids tricycle let alone a vehicle.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Snow tires

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)