Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody figure out an ATV winch? :P (Also: winter tires?)

Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    Doesn't look like that seller offers shipping to Canada eh. Good deal but not here. It comes to $335 canadian then add on gst,tire tax and provincial tax. Then shipping is usually high for tires across the boarder. I used to order from tire rack when our dollar was close to par.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Doesn't look like that seller offers shipping to Canada eh. Good deal but not here. It comes to $335 canadian then add on gst,tire tax and provincial tax. Then shipping is usually high for tires across the boarder. I used to order from tire rack when our dollar was close to par.
    I didn't think of that. I got my summer tires from discount tire direct, they do ship to Canada but it's not free like it is in the US. They do have some pretty good deals with seasonal rebates, but probably not much going on now. And also the shipping and taxes would probably wipe out most of the incentive like you said

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Rees View Post
    That's a pretty loaded question
    Not meant to be a loaded question... I'm just curious to hear why someone picks the underdog (considering in Canada the Micra is outselling the Mirage by about 4:1).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I actually work for Warn Industries in Oregon. I have an XT17 winch, and it'd be a good solution for a portable puller. The capacity is 1,700 lbs. (771 kg). Keep in mind, we generally suggest taking the vehicle's GVWR and multiplying it by 1.5 to get minimum pulling capacity. That'd put the Mirage right around 4,500 lbs. That being said, if you got an XT17 and a snatch block, you'll effectively double its pulling power.

I'd be hesitant to hard-mount a winch to the Mirage for fear of twisting its unibody chassis. You'd really need to tie in a mount somewhere very sturdy so as not to rip the front end off. However, if you pull from a recovery point, it would be OK.

Another option to look at might be the WARN Pullzall. It's got a 1,000 lb. (454 kg) pulling capacity. However, it also only has 15 ft (4.6 m) of rope. It also has a load limiter, so if you did meet that capacity, it won't allow you to pull.

Lastly, another option might be the WARN Drill Winch, which is like $115 or so. It's lightweight, portable, and powered by a drill. It only has a 500 lb. (227 kg) capacity, however. It would be the most lightweight, portable option.

The other thing to remember in recovery scenarios is you're rarely pulling the vehicle's full weight. You're instead pulling a rolling load which is easier to move.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-16-2017),inuvik (11-16-2017),MetroMPG (11-16-2017)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I still like the thought of a mounted winch. If I figure it out I'll let you know. Unless you figure it out first let me know. :P
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

FYI: 4 Enasaves for $50 in Moncton:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/m...age/1298995516

He has them listed as "winter tires", but they sure look like the factory Dunops to me. Might be worth picking up for spares/next set if you have somewhere to store 'em.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)