Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Massive misfire cylinder 1 -- SOLVED (wire corrosion)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Seems the diagnostic code is triggered entirely on engine speed deceleration.

The diagnostic steps are:
    1. Ignition
    2. Ignition
    3. Compression
    4. Drive cycle
    5. Drive cycle

Nothing about fuel delivery. Hm.

You've ruled out ignition, right?

And the symptoms changed when you fiddled with the injector.

I would focus on the injector.

Except you (eventually) got the same symptoms with two injectors.

The only thing that didn't change with the cylinder #1 fuel delivery is the electrical connector and the fuel rail tie. You seem fairly certain the problem is not with the electrical connection - right?

Then where do you buy your gasoline? Have you used either Top Tier gas or have you used any injector cleaners?

Because the biggest hassle of a solution here appears to be a failed ECM, and I'm having a hard time believing that's the case. After all, you are running on a replacement motor.

Last edited by Eggman; 11-22-2017 at 10:29 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (11-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ya you would think they'd touch on fuel delivery lol

His volt test really screams "bad ecu" in my opinion.

Looking forward to the results and maybe a little DIY for the programming aspect, if it's not too much trouble!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Just an idea:
    You could look at the middle pin (ground, black wire) of the ignition coil plug/socket, which has three pins in a row. Take your time and make absolutely and totally sure, the contacts or pins of the plug/jack are 100% fully impecable condition! If not, you've just found the problem.

Then, either measure the voltage on that black wire with engine running, and if it is elevated (not nill), check and measure the grounding.

Or as an alternative with the ignition off, you could use an Ohm meter to measure from that pin to chassis. It should read no more than a fraction of 1 Ohm. This method I would do.

If it reads an Ohm or more, or if the voltage when running is more than a few millivolts, follow that wire all the way through the harnesses/connectors to the chassis (=ground) and find and eliminate the electrical resistance.
    On cars this age and built like ours, a resistance or discontinuity can't be expected to be much else than a pin of a connector.
    Last edited by foama; 11-23-2017 at 11:42 AM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-23-2017),Rkt Ship (11-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Here's some info from the service manual.

Interestingly, page 44 suggests checking the fuel supply while page 244 focuses on ignition.
    Thats what I followed that lead me to the conclusion I am at.

Something else that would lead me to the ecu is the fact that the problem went away entirely on its own without making any other changes. Meaning I went in and did tests. Then they all pointed to the ecu. I said dangit and started up to look at some other stuff. It misfired for a bit (mind you this is after changing to different things that were "good") then it started running great. It even made it about a mile up the road before the misfire came back.
    I went in and cleared codes and They came right back of course. I was never able to get it smooth again though. Tomorrow I am going to hook some stuff up and see if I can use etacsdecoder to get in. If that doesnt work Im gonna purchase a mut3. Ive been wanting to get one for awhile just never pulled the trigger. I buy a lot of mitsubishis so It will help on a few different applications for me. Plus etacsdecoder limits me so much on changes so I would have to wait like a week in between each change. I think its one change every 120 hours but I could be wrong n that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey Rkt Ship any updates on this? I hope you got it figured out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Any updates? Hoping to hear some good news.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Any updates? Hoping to hear some good news.
    Well I finally figured it all out. After trying some diff things. I swapped out the ecu and still had the same issues. Although I wanna say to the Mitsubishi dealer in medina oh. Your master tech didn't know what he was talking about. He told me that you couldn't change the vin on an ecu....well I did exactly that and the car started right up. Still had the issue but it talked to the etacs and let me start it.
    Now onto the real problem. It was corroded wiring. Like really corroded. The wire had chaffed in the tab that holds the injector harness to the intake manifold. Just enough to create a leak that allowed the wire to corrode. Had to cut out 2 inches of wiring to get all the corrosion. Now with that being said. While testing I was still getting full voltage but it wasn't grounding correctly due to the corrosion. So it would act all crazy. We didn't get to see this until we ran the o scope test again the other day. Sometimes it would run perfect then go back to dropping a cylinder.
    Now its all fixed. I also fixed my po0010 code that ive had since 60k. This is the code to say the mivec oil pressure thingy isnt working. It shows up as a cam sensor code when you search it but its the mivec valve. Which is on the left side of the head next to injector one. Another wire that had rubbed through on the plastic connector that mounts the harness to the manifold. This one had rubbed through completely when I opened up the harness it was in 2 pieces. Now everything is fixed and I have Mivec again. NO codes and car runs great. I also have a new ecu and new injectors because I was losing my mind I became a parts thrower.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Rkt Ship For This Useful Post:

anog (12-21-2017),Cobrajet (12-21-2017),daleWV (12-21-2017),Daox (12-21-2017),Fummins (12-21-2017),inuvik (12-21-2017),Top_Fuel (12-21-2017),wellswebdesign (12-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    WOOHOO!!! Congrats on figuring it out. That is a really weird problem. Nice job figuring it out!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Maybe it's just me...but the wiring in this car seems incredibly delicate compared to other cars I'm familiar with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've seen similar vehicles with this kind of wiring... specifically Saturns. I fixed one once, the wire broke clean in half on a coolant temp sensor.