Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Got some Honda 15" Steel Rims and Used Studded Snow Tires

  1. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Maine
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Not sure what size snows you are running. Some forum members here report that taller tire sizes occasionally rub.

    There appears to be a trade-off between handling and fuel economy unless the tire & rims are chosen carefully. Top Fuel has a detailed thread on the topic.
    I checked out willtheyfit.com before buying the tires and they were a few percent taller. I'll be damned if the car doesn't look like it's sitting 6" higher with those tires and rims. I know it's not but it does look different.


    My other car gets 9 mpg (F150)

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 37.8 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.4 mpg (Imp)


  2. #12
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    2,262
    Thanked 824 Times in 616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I checked out willtheyfit.com before buying the tires and they were a few percent taller. I'll be damned if the car doesn't look like it's sitting 6" higher with those tires and rims. I know it's not but it does look different.
    Pictures please! And tire details too.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.0 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.0 mpg (Imp)


  3. #13
    Member roscoe1972's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland, IL
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    60
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 31 Times in 18 Posts
    Discount tire lists 185/55, 195/55, 195/50 as 15inch tires that will fit. I have 185/55 all seasons and just picked up some used wheels w/winters.
    They came with 195/55 but I failed to check the dates and turns out they are 12 yrs old! Got some cheap, but heavy duty GT Radial Champiro Icepro 195/55r15 to replace them.

    No rubbing, and no calculations yet, but its looking like a 4mpg hit. running at 38psi, a little loud, but sure-footed, planted stance no steering wander.

    Name:  IMG_20171202_080719.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  98.2 KBName:  IMG_20171202_080725.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  96.9 KB
    Last edited by roscoe1972; 12-02-2017 at 02:44 PM.

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Maine
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    My bad. I forgot what I actually ended up buying. Not 15" rims, they are 14"s. I was looking for 15"s but I guess these came up on Craigslist back in August so I bought them.

    The tires are 185/65R14 which is 26mm taller than the stock tire.





    My other car gets 9 mpg (F150)

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 37.8 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.4 mpg (Imp)


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (12-02-2017)

  6. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Maine
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    I made a 50 mile round trip yesterday and the average MPG was 44 where it is usually 50 for that particular trip. It was also colder than it usually is - might also have an effect in addition to the tires. That's a huge difference !
    My other car gets 9 mpg (F150)

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 37.8 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.4 mpg (Imp)


  7. #16
    Senior Member Top_Fuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    840
    Thanks
    383
    Thanked 556 Times in 280 Posts
    Did you adjust your mileage formula for the new tires? It's not a huge deal...but it makes a difference.

    Because those tires are 26mm taller than the OEM tires, you are actually traveling about 4.4% further than your odometer indicates. So if you take a 300 trip (according to your odometer), you actually traveled 313 miles.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.5 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.8 mpg (Imp)


  8. #17
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Ohio ☼
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    2,262
    Thanked 824 Times in 616 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I made a 50 mile round trip yesterday and the average MPG was 44 where it is usually 50 for that particular trip. It was also colder than it usually is - might also have an effect in addition to the tires. That's a huge difference !
    Yep - that's the reason why I'm interested in a warm-air intake.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-04-2017 at 04:16 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 50.0 mpg (US) ... 21.2 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 60.0 mpg (Imp)


  9. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Maine
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Did you adjust your mileage formula for the new tires? It's not a huge deal...but it makes a difference.

    Because those tires are 26mm taller than the OEM tires, you are actually traveling about 4.4% further than your odometer indicates. So if you take a 300 trip (according to your odometer), you actually traveled 313 miles.
    I didn't but that's good info to apply to my mileage spreadsheet. I was going by the known distance and the mpg reading on the dash. So the car thinks it went 4.4% shorter distance - the correction would increase the actual mpg by 4.4% - is that how it would work?
    My other car gets 9 mpg (F150)

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 37.8 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.4 mpg (Imp)


  10. #19
    Senior Member Top_Fuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    840
    Thanks
    383
    Thanked 556 Times in 280 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    So the car thinks it went 4.4% shorter distance - the correction would increase the actual mpg by 4.4% - is that how it would work?
    Yep.

    My tires are also taller than the stock ones...but mine are only off by 2.5%.

    And don't forget your speedometer now reads slightly low as well.

    Speedometer Calculator for Different Tires

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.5 mpg (US) ... 21.9 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.8 mpg (Imp)


  11. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Maine
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    34
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Yep.

    My tires are also taller than the stock ones...but mine are only off by 2.5%.

    And don't forget your speedometer now reads slightly low as well.

    Speedometer Calculator for Different Tires
    I compared the gps to the speedo and it seemed close enough for gubmint.


    My other car gets 9 mpg (F150)

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 37.8 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.4 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •