Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 MPG Mirage club - are you in it? (4.7 L/100 km)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey guys! Long story as short as I can. About 7 months ago purchased a Mitsubishi i-MiEV. (used with 15K miles).
    Kept the Mirage for the long trips. I only HAD to drive the Mirage maybe once but I can't even remember that.

Now I have 10.6 K miles driven with the i-MiEV. Works perfect for my commute. I can even charge at work but could make it
    there and back even if I couldn't charge it there. (58 mile round trip)

The part related to this thread: My wife has never driven the Mirage before until recently when she caught a deer at 60 MPH
    with her 2011 fiesta and totaled it.

The other day she drove my manual transmission Mirage to my work to look at vehicles.She told me to get a folder out of the car.
    When I got to the car,I turned the key on to crack the windows down and the display was left on avg.MPG "A" and it was showing
    that she got 51.2 MPG on her way there! I busted out laughing because she is NOT a hypermiler at all. Also she forgot to unfold
    the passenger side mirror. (and probably never noticed). So does that make her a 50 MPG club member?

We ended up getting her a brand spanking new Mitsubishi Outlander sport SE (nicer package than the base ES but did not need
    leather and paddle shifter as on the SEL).And has the 2.4L engine unlike the LE with it's 2.0L. This made us a 3 mitsu household.

On our round trip (of 240 miles)with the Mirage to get the Outlander Sport, I got 53.9 MPG and that had about zero hypermiling and a lot of interstate speeds. Warm Florida helps too!
    But if someone wants to push the Mirage for MPG, it is capable of a lot more than that! Especially the 5 speed!!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-28-2017),Eggman (11-28-2017),MetroMPG (11-28-2017),Pryme (11-29-2017),Top_Fuel (11-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Hey guys! Long story as short as I can. About 7 months ago purchased a Mitsubishi i-MiEV. (used with 15K miles).
    Kept the Mirage for the long trips. I only HAD to drive the Mirage maybe once but I can't even remember that.

Now I have 10.6 K miles driven with the i-MiEV. Works perfect for my commute. I can even charge at work but could make it
    there and back even if I couldn't charge it there. (58 mile round trip)
    I wondered what happened to you as you hadn't posted or updated your Fuel Economy log in a while. Glad to hear from you.

Also interesting to hear about your experiences with the i-MiEV. I took a used one for a test drive and I think it would be a great car for most (not all) commuters.

The part related to this thread: My wife has never driven the Mirage before until recently when she caught a deer at 60 MPH
    with her 2011 fiesta and totaled it.

The other day she drove my manual transmission Mirage to my work to look at vehicles.She told me to get a folder out of the car.
    When I got to the car,I turned the key on to crack the windows down and the display was left on avg.MPG "A" and it was showing
    that she got 51.2 MPG on her way there! I busted out laughing because she is NOT a hypermiler at all. Also she forgot to unfold
    the passenger side mirror. (and probably never noticed). So does that make her a 50 MPG club member?
    Sounds like a candidate. Does club membership require forum membership??

We ended up getting her a brand spanking new Mitsubishi Outlander sport SE (nicer package than the base ES but did not need
    leather and paddle shifter as on the SEL).And has the 2.4L engine unlike the LE with it's 2.0L. This made us a 3 mitsu household.
    We've been interested in the Outlander Sport also.

On our round trip (of 240 miles)with the Mirage to get the Outlander Sport, I got 53.9 MPG and that had about zero hypermiling and a lot of interstate speeds. Warm Florida helps too!
    But if someone wants to push the Mirage for MPG, it is capable of a lot more than that! Especially the 5 speed!!!
    I agree with this. On a recent trip, my fuel consumption was affected by winds going out - I was hoping to have more of a tailwind on the return trip but it seems to never work out that way, does it?...

I slowed my pace for the last two hours of my return trip and watched the MID-A fuel economy numbers climb steadily - just by slowing down 5 mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My daily commute is only 5-6 miles, so I wont be in the 50mpg lifetime club. However, I did just get back from Thanksgiving, going from Central Ohio to Western North Carolina. I went US-23 the whole way, doesn't turn into an interstate until Tennessee. I got 50.5mpg on the way down, and 50.3mpg on the way up, presumably on winter blend, and with pleeeeenty of hills. One of my tanks, as measured, was 52mpg. My ScanGauge told me I went roundtrip, for under $50 in gas.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.1 mpg (US) ... 18.7 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 52.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wellswebdesign For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-28-2017),Top_Fuel (11-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...About 7 months ago purchased a Mitsubishi i-MiEV. (used with 15K miles).
    Good to know you're still around. Have you had any new Mirages on the alignment rack lately?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Morning commute. This trip includes 2 min of warm up and an idling stop at the post office to drop a letter off.
    Outside temp -2°C dry roads and a little wind.
    Cruise control off, auto climate w/air cond. on. (CVT trans)
    Simple technique that usually yields good economy for me. I maintain rpm at 2200 or below regardless of my speed which varies from 70km/h to 110km/h over the trip.
    There's one downhill section where I can drop trans to Ds and push the engine for about 40 sec. of no fuel consumption and I have the offramp and turns timed for zero braking with pedal.
    Sadly those behind me are not enthusiastic about my technique so I can't drive like this all the time.
    (my 2014 Mirage yielded a best of 3.2 L/100km using this method)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-28-2017),MetroMPG (11-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I was hoping to have more of a tailwind on the return trip but it seems to never work out that way, does it?...
    Happened to me yesterday: nasty headwind on a trip, which died down so I didn't get the benefit of an equally strong tailwind on the way home!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Morning commute. This trip includes 2 min of warm up and an idling stop at the post office to drop a letter off.
    Outside temp -2°C dry roads and a little wind.
    Cruise control off, auto climate w/air cond. on. (CVT trans)
    Simple technique that usually yields good economy for me. I maintain rpm at 2200 or below regardless of my speed which varies from 70km/h to 110km/h over the trip.
    There's one downhill section where I can drop trans to Ds and push the engine for about 40 sec. of no fuel consumption and I have the offramp and turns timed for zero braking with pedal.
    Sadly those behind me are not enthusiastic about my technique so I can't drive like this all the time.
    (my 2014 Mirage yielded a best of 3.2 L/100km using this method)
    The commute back home after work..
    Same technique with 20-25km/h headwind @ 7°C with a stop for gas.
    Avg for the day 4.7L/100km or 50mpg US.
    I guess I'm in?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Good to know you're still around. Have you had any new Mirages on the alignment rack lately?
    Thanks! No I have not had any new Mirages on the alignment rack but I saw a G4 with around 20K miles on it with the fancy larger
    wheels on it (that they come with) and it was ready for tires. Which tells me about it's alignment.

Also my co-worker had a 2015 mirage on the alignment rack aaaaaand it was out on the right rear like all the rest I've ever seen.

Eggman! Can't believe you took an i-car for a test drive and did not fall in love with it lol! Not sure where to write about the i-MiEV
    but without trying to hijack the thread I will say I absolutely love that thing and it turns out very useful as a truck for hauling things like
    my concrete mixing ( rough and bulky) wheel barrow, up to 6 bags of 80 lbs concrete (like it is not even back there), 10 foot 4x4
    posts (could not close the hatch on those of course) etc. So even with it's wimpy range I wish I would've found out sooner how
    cheap the used ones are and got one already. Gotta have a thick skin though because people will hate on it based on the looks,
    then they find out it's yours and apologize I get a kick out that though! ( macho first,functionality never matters to most).

Otlander sports, like the Mirage in my experience that I see coming in to the shop are mostly customer induced issues.
    The only issue we have seen were around 2015 with the then new CVT 8 transmissions were failing but I think they worked the
    bugs out for the later models! Worth buying new because of the first/original owner warranty you get plus the price difference between new and used were not that great!
    Sorry for the hijack!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 66.3 mpg (US) ... 28.2 km/L ... 3.5 L/100 km ... 79.7 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 3dplane For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (11-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Eggman! Can't believe you took an i-car for a test drive and did not fall in love with it lol!
    It was tough. It was about when I first bought my Speck - kinda felt like cheating actually.

I thought it was very similar to the Mirage - roomier, even.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Pryme: the block heater helps proportionately more for short winter trips than long ones, if you have somewhere to plug in.

Yup, context is key. Driving conditions/environment & individual techniques (especially max cruising speed) make such a big difference. A lot of people forget that.
    Do you have a link to the one people use on mirages? I could plug it in nightly as I park in the garage