Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 50 MPG Mirage club - are you in it? (4.7 L/100 km)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Winter is brutal here in Canada in the past few weeks.. I've been getting 8.8L/100km, ridiculous.. I am pretty sure they are fuel dumping in the ECU to compensate the cold weather, but is stupid, my 2007 Honda Fit just does similar gas mileage in winter. I guesstimate the Mirage is about 30% over fuel

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Where are you? Much of Canada is experiencing near record levels of cold at the current time. Mileage is still pretty good on the west coast.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Winter is brutal here in Canada in the past few weeks..
    ...pretty sure they are fuel dumping in the ECU to compensate the cold weather
    When temperatures are in the single digits, your engine is going to struggle to stay at 190 degrees F or above. I am running a 100% grill block right now with temps in the single-digit range. This is helping the engine run a little warmer and is a quick way to increase the intake air temperature by 20 degrees or so.

A grill block can be done with $2 worth of pipe insulation from a hardware store. Just cut it to length with scissors (or razor blade) and jam it in your grill. Below is what I run when temps are about 30-50 F. Once temps get colder, I block the grill completely (including the mail slot in my 2015). I have a Scangauge and can monitor my car's coolant temperature.

If you don't have a way to monitor coolant temperatures, always be a little conservative and leave at least a small section of your grill open when the outside temps are above 20 F.

Name:  grill_block.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  91.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 51.3 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-01-2018),El Kapitan (01-02-2018),Marklovski (01-01-2018),MetroMPG (01-03-2018)