Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 50 MPG Mirage club - are you in it? (4.7 L/100 km)

50 MPG Mirage club - are you in it? (4.7 L/100 km)

Name:  50-mpg-mirage.jpg
Views: 4525
Size:  52.5 KB

One of our members started a similar thread on another forum (with a more ambitious MPG number).... So I thought it would be interesting to see who here has broken the 50 MPG (US) threshold.

FYI: 50 MPG US = 4.7 L/100 km = 21.3 km/L = 60 MPG Imperial

I actually squeaked out 54 MPG US / 4.4 L/100 km in the base 5-speed 2014 Mirage press car pictured above. That's 46% better than the EPA rating for the car, even with the snow tires still on the car when I got it.

Driving style: I specifically wanted to show what was possible for an "average" driver who wants to focus on efficiency, but not go crazy. For more driving details, see my fuel economy / driving tips notes for the 5-speed.

In this 2017 Mirage G4 with CVT loaner from Mitsubishi Canada I squeaked 50 MPG US over 2 fill-ups and 1277 km = 793 miles.

This was during warm, but not hot summer weather (ie. minimal air conditioning use). Driving style was "eco", but not "hyper". That is: gentle acceleration where possible, sticking to the speed limit or a couple over. Usually with the cruise control engaged on the highway. In town, the main eco technique was simply avoiding rushing into situations where I had to brake abruptly -- ie. reading traffic ahead and easing off the throttle early.

Note: the highest speed limit on the freeways around here is 100 km/h = 62 mph.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Are you asking for readings for independent trips, averages for a fill-up, or lifetime average?

My goal is to keep Speck above 50mpg for a lifetime average.

For my typical use in town, it's tough to do without some changes from stock. I keep the tires over-inflated (with no ill effects so far,) an engine block heater, and lately a warm-air intake with air drawn over the exhaust manifold.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I would say a full tank would qualify.

But I'm open to hearing anybody's 50+ experience.

50+ lifetime is an impressive goal. And a real challenge if you experience freezing winter conditions. Or for that matter in tropical conditions where the A/C is used all the time!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lifetime 50mpg would be very impressive anywhere it snows.

Checked my lifetime (B) meter and was SHOCKED mine was so high. (46) I expected lower because i have child-like tendencies. I suspect its been reset somehow since last winter, maybe when i installed my radio.

-----------

Manually calculated;

My uncle was getting 36 with my car <---- !!!!

The loose nut behind the wheel is #1
    knowing and anticipating your route is #2

Generally i stay above 55 (full tank) when i get a 'measurable' tank (in good weather, no dirt road racing)

That being said i don't think I ran a full tank off gas thru my car before i started modifying it

In for 3DPLANE's reply ! 70mpg+ your My hero bud
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 11-27-2017 at 12:31 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MightyMirageMpg For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-27-2017),MetroMPG (11-27-2017)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    On my normal commute to work, which is about 20 minutes, congestion, and a distance of 18km, I get about 4.5L/100km.

I do a lot of long distance driving and then it improves.

My "B" average, which is quite accurate, reads about 4.2L/100km in summer, but in winter it is around 4.5L/100km.

Tyres are at 3.0bar, temp sensor mod done, and the lower grille is blocked almost completely throughout the entire year.

A note for members in the world's last three non-metric states, namely North Korea, Liberia and USA: 3.0bar = 45psi.
    Last edited by foama; 11-27-2017 at 08:30 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (11-27-2017),mohammad (06-16-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I've managed a lifetime 50+ mpg average since my car was new (coming up on 35K miles). I've done this with 15" wheels/tires on my car almost since day 1.

I only do basic hyper-miling stuff (coasting up to red lights, minimize AC usage, limiting freeway speed to around 60mph). I don't have any mileage "mods" other than keeping my tires at their maximum sidewall pressure.

Now that we're into winter-blended fuels and cooler temperatures, maintaining 50+ is more challenging...and almost impossible for me when temps stay below 30 degrees. I need to have lots of 50+ mpg fill-ups in the summer to counter-balance my sub-50 tanks in the winter. This is why I am starting to play around with partially blocking the grill and using a warm air intake in the winter. One winter advantage I have is that my car is garaged and I use an engine block heater.

I would really like to ride along with someone getting 60+ mpg on a regular basis. I don't know how they do it. I think I would have to find a perfectly flat road 500 miles long and drive 45mph without stopping to get those numbers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ooooh, getting 50+mpg during the winter season is REALLY hard for me. Especially when the weather dips down between 10°F and -20°F (windchills of -30 to -40). All I know is that the Mirage is a BEAST in that weather. No hesitation to start up. But last year when I was on the stock tires, it was rare for me to get into the 50s. It's definitely possible though. I am a 5spd so, I can definitely see the CVT trans get into the 50s.

During the summer(warmer months), I can get into the 50s cruising at 60mph. There's a bunch of factors in play but I'm certain the Mirage can pull 400 miles into one fill if ALL the conditions line up. heh heh.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (11-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not seen 50 on my daily trips since weather turned cold. That's because my commute just is not that long daily and I drive 100% urban traffic cycle. I'm always at or above 50 on the same drive using same driving style in summer. Best I've seen lately is 46 on a normal trip.

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    temp sensor mod done
    Did you post a thread about this? (If so, I forgot.)

Pryme: the block heater helps proportionately more for short winter trips than long ones, if you have somewhere to plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I would really like to ride along with someone getting 60+ mpg on a regular basis. I don't know how they do it.
    Yup, context is key. Driving conditions/environment & individual techniques (especially max cruising speed) make such a big difference. A lot of people forget that.