Thread: New wheel suggestions

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Abnormal tire wear caused by a factory defect is warrantable

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am running 185 60 14 Hankooks on mine, with aftermarket rims. Very happy with the setup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Car Nut For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (11-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Nut View Post
    I am running 185 60 14 Hankooks on mine, with aftermarket rims. Very happy with the setup.
    Crazy selection and price at that size too!
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hari04415 View Post
    ...25,000 mile service
    ...two of my tires need to be replaced very soon.
    ...The other two have about 400 miles on them.
    So your car has 25K miles...2 tires were replaced 400 miles ago...and now the other 2 tires are worn and need replacing? Have you owned this car since it was new...or did you buy it used?

Listen to the advice in here about your alignment. Get a 4-wheel alignment FIRST and then purchase new tires. Normally it's a good practice to get an alignment when you have new tires installed. In the case of your Mirage, you want to have the alignment checked/corrected BEFORE you put new tires on the car.

Here's why...

Right now you still have OEM-sized tires on the car (165-65-14s). If it turns out that your REAR alignment is the problem, then you will need a new rear axle assembly installed under warranty. You don't want to change tire sizes until AFTER you know your rear axle isn't a problem. A dealer can make the warranty process difficult if you try to get a replacement axle with non-OEM sized tires on your car. I'm not saying that this is likely to happen...but it could happen. So do yourself a favor and get your REAR alignment checked and resolved before you change to a non-OEM sized tire.

Be sure to check out the Rear Wheel Mis-aligned thread.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 12-01-2017 at 07:25 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by hari04415 View Post
    I just came back from my 25,000 mile service and i was informed that two of my tires need to be replaced very soon. The other two have about 400 miles on them. I am not sure how this has happened (uneven tire wear) as i have been rotating tires on my every service visit for 5K miles. I looked at my local tire shop and they said the new 165/65/14 would cost me 137+tax per tire. I have looked at other tire options on the thread but confused just as to which other sizes would be sufficient for me. Can you guys please suggest me what other sizes i can order. i know 175/65/14 is an option but anything else i need to consider?
    I've been installing 185/60-14's on the Mirages for 3 years with no problems. They are a little wider than stock but they fit. I wouldn't go any wider than a 185 on stock wheels.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    So your car has 25K miles...2 tires were replaced 400 miles ago...and now the other 2 tires are worn and need replacing? Have you owned this car since it was new...or did you buy it used?

Listen to the advice in here about your alignment. Get a 4-wheel alignment FIRST and then purchase new tires. Normally it's a good practice to get an alignment when you have new tires installed. In the case of your Mirage, you want to have the alignment checked/corrected BEFORE you put new tires on the car.

Here's why...

Right now you still have OEM-sized tires on the car (165-65-14s). If it turns out that your REAR alignment is the problem, then you will need a new rear axle assembly installed under warranty. You don't want to change tire sizes until AFTER you know your rear axle isn't a problem. A dealer can make the warranty process difficult if you try to get a replacement axle with non-OEM sized tires on your car. I'm not saying that this is likely to happen...but it could happen. So do yourself a favor and get your alignment checked and resolved before you change to a non-OEM sized tire.

Be sure to check out the Rear Wheel Mis-aligned thread.
    Just returned from the dealership. And also to clarify I bought the vehicle new and all four tires are still OEM. Two of the tires need replaced and two tires have 400miles left on them. I asked about the wheel alignment check and the lady just kept telling me that I will be charged $70 bucks just to get it checked as I have over 12k miles. And since I need new tires anyways she told me I am better off getting new tires and get the wheel alignment checked when I do that. I told her about the rear axle problem and she said she isn't aware of any. She kept insisting me to change tires and then get the wheels aligned then. When I bought the rear axle problem again, she told me to get the new tires and come back for the axle check. She said she will put a note on my account to let them know that I wanted it checked even before changing tires. I am just frustrated at the dealership. This is my first car and being a student and trying to find a cheap pair of tires that fit this economy vehicle is hard. I may have to end up sticking with original tire size of 165/65/14 to avoid problems in future if the rear axle is a problem on my vehicle.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    That's ok - we'll do what we can to help you out (short of taking your car in for you.)

I just called the NTB in Morgantown, WV (presuming that's where you're located...) They do free alignment checks.

NTB Morgantown, WV
    411 SUNCREST TOWNE CENTER DR
    MORGANTOWN, WV 26505-1814
    304-777-4757

HOURS
    Mon 7:30 AM - 8:00 PM
    Tue 7:30 AM - 8:00 PM
    Wed 7:30 AM - 8:00 PM
    Thu 7:30 AM - 8:00 PM
    Fri 7:30 AM - 8:00 PM
    Sat 7:30 AM - 7:00 PM
    Sun 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Special Hours
    12/24 7:00 am-5:00 pm

Holidays
    Christmas Day 12/25 Closed
    Thanksgiving 11/23 Closed
    Easter Day 4/16 Closed

Talk to John - he sounds like a real nice guy. He said he's a little busy for the next couple hours though.

Once you have some idea of the condition of your rear axle, you'll be better equipped to deal with the dealer and possibly Mitsubishi North America.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-01-2017 at 07:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

hari04415 (12-01-2017),Top_Fuel (12-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Great advice from Eggman and it won't cost you a dime!

You may not have an alignment problem...but you really need to know this before you consider changing tire sizes. Forget your dealer for now and verify the alignment on your own with the help of a private shop. Once you know your rear alignment is OK, then you will be open to more tire options.

No offense to the service writer at your dealership, but often times these people are not particularly knowledgeable about cars (yeah...I know that sounds crazy but it's true). And don't be shocked that they have no clue about the rear axle problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow. Thanks for checking for me. Really appreciate it. I will give them a call and get an appointment. I will keep you guys posted.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hari04415 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-01-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    No offense to the service writer at your dealership, but often times these people are not particularly knowledgeable about cars (yeah...I know that sounds crazy but it's true). And don't be shocked that they have no clue about the rear axle problem.
    Yup. As with much else in life, don't assume malice on that which can be explained by ignorance.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)