Thread: Side Sill Extension Installation

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Side Sill Extension Installation

I'm looking at picking up a pair of the Side Sill Extensions for my '17 Mirage ES (MZ569780EX - Mercury Gray). Has anyone installed these? Is there any drilling?

It also appears they require a clear protective film (MZ576485EX). Where does this go? Between the body and the sill extensions?

Any insight would be great.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    I wonder if the kit will include instructions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder if the kit will include instructions?
    Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Seeing as though how the rear cargo mat had them (not even kidding. Step 1: Take out of package. Step 2: Place into rear cargo area. Step 3: Press down on mat), I'd assume there would be instructions. Couldn't find them online, however.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, there are instructions and they are pretty decent actually. I installed these last fall, and they definitely help with appearance IMO. However, Mitsubishi doesn't offer mudflaps to fit once these are installed, so until I find something that may work, I only have flaps on the rear.

You will be removing the current side sills which will leave the rocker panels exposed. After using alcohol to clean the rockers, you install MZ576485EX, which is a 4'x6"ish piece of clear protective film. It was hard to apply myself, so I cut it into foot chunks and installed them rear to front overlapping about a 1/8"or so.

The new sills will install with the use of plastic pop rivets and double-stick tape. You will be drilling one hole in front of each rear wheel and you install the bottom of the each sill first with the pop rivets. Then you'll push the sill under the doors and peel the tape off from the rear of sill and push the sill against the body while peeling the tape off. You end by the last two rivets on the inner front fender.

There's templates and such included to make it pretty straightforward. Just make sure you buy the sills and the protective film.

BTW, I live here and can lend a hand if you'd like!

Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    (blank signature)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Daox (11-29-2017),Eggman (11-29-2017),Subcompact Culture (11-29-2017),Top_Fuel (11-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex1a1f View Post
    Yes, there are instructions and they are pretty decent actually. I installed these last fall, and they definitely help with appearance IMO. However, Mitsubishi doesn't offer mudflaps to fit once these are installed, so until I find something that may work, I only have flaps on the rear.

You will be removing the current side sills which will leave the rocker panels exposed. After using alcohol to clean the rockers, you install MZ576485EX, which is a 4'x6"ish piece of clear protective film. It was hard to apply myself, so I cut it into foot chunks and installed them rear to front overlapping about a 1/8"or so.

The new sills will install with the use of plastic pop rivets and double-stick tape. You will be drilling one hole in front of each rear wheel and you install the bottom of the each sill first with the pop rivets. Then you'll push the sill under the doors and peel the tape off from the rear of sill and push the sill against the body while peeling the tape off. You end by the last two rivets on the inner front fender.

There's templates and such included to make it pretty straightforward. Just make sure you buy the sills and the protective film.

BTW, I live here and can lend a hand if you'd like!

Hope this helps.
    Perfect! Thanks for the reply! I might take you up on the offer, too (whenever I get these).

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Any tips on the least-expensive place to purchase these? So far Mitsubishi Parts Source looks good. Going to call Gladstone Mitsubishi. They have a 15% coupon on their website.
    Last edited by Subcompact Culture; 11-30-2017 at 04:33 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Any tips on the least-expensive place to purchase these? So far Mitsubishi Parts Source looks good. Going to call Gladstone Mitsubishi. They have a 15% coupon on their website.
    What does that come to then?
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Should be $346.08 for sills and clear film.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    Should be $346.08 for sills and clear film.
    I want to say that's about what I paid. Spendy, but wanted the look. :/

(blank signature)