Thread: Exhaust rattle.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Exhaust rattle.

I developed a bad rattle that mostly occurs during idle. I noticed a loose shield on the exhaust/cat converter. It fell off when I grabbed it. In you guys/gals opinion do I need it? I've read opinions all over the web, seems to be about 50/50 as to leaving it off. Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I wonder if it can be replaced under warranty by your dealer?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder if it can be replaced under warranty by your dealer?
    Maybe, I did read that even though the exhaust is not covered, the catalytic converter is covered by law. 8 yrs or 80000 miles. Tomorrow the car goes into the shop for oil and some recalls I will ask them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHoot View Post
    Maybe, I did read that even though the exhaust is not covered, the catalytic converter is covered by law. 8 yrs or 80000 miles. Tomorrow the car goes into the shop for oil and some recalls I will ask them.
    After reading the law at the EPA website I don't believe they will replace or repair under warranty. The law states the dealer only has to do repairs when the emissions are affected. So I am not even going to tell them about it, I'll see if they see it!

I'd at least ask. If won't replace it just leave it alone. I had one come loose on a 15', I just took it off. The car hasn't burnt down yet.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)