Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3A92 engine parts history (changes over the years)

Cool new tidbits.

Wonder why the manual transmission doesn't get TWO roller camshafts like the CVT?

Cost tactic to keep the base car price down?

CAFE measure to increase the CVT's rating further, which is already artificially higher than the manual's due to the testing process?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    A little digging and asking questions answered my catalytic converter acronym question:

mcc - manifold catalytic converter
    fcc - flange catalytic converter
    ucc - under-floor catalytic converter
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Where'd you find your definitions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Google and asked on EcoModder.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I added Fummin's picture of the camshafts off of a 2017 CVT Mirage.

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Hi again folks long time since i have been around here. any way just getting thoughts on buying a second hand Mirage and have been looking around on this site loading up on new info. now these engine updates for the 2017 year has me interested. One thing i have not seen yet is did all these changes with roller cam/cams, timing chain and top piston ring etc actually bring a reduction in fuel consumption or just got the extra 4 HP? Any help on this would be most welcome.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamiec For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (05-01-2020),Eggman (05-01-2020)

Jamiec - Mirageforum's oldest member - welcome back!

Even I picked up a used Mirage last November (2014 model).

Unfortunately, the EPA revised its testing procedure starting with the 2017 model year, resulting in a *decline* in the Mirage's fuel economy rating in the U.S. (and Canada, since we always follow suit).

Thread: 2017 Mirage MPG/fuel economy rating on EPA site (lower than last year/ revised test)

That's not to say its actual fuel economy declined vs. the previous model. Confusing, yes.

If I had to guess, I'd say it'd be slightly more efficient in the real world. But likely by such a small amount, it'd be hard to detect, head-to-head.

Darin

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    Hi again folks long time since i have been around here. any way just getting thoughts on buying a second hand Mirage and have been looking around on this site loading up on new info. now these engine updates for the 2017 year has me interested. One thing i have not seen yet is did all these changes with roller cam/cams, timing chain and top piston ring etc actually bring a reduction in fuel consumption or just got the extra 4 HP? Any help on this would be most welcome.
    That's a good question, and I wondered the same thing myself.

It's hard to compare the early 2013/14 Mirages with the 2019 or 2020 Mirages in Canada because the fuel economy ratings standards got more restrictive. So basically it's not an apples to apples comparison anymore and I am not sure how to factor in the change. My hunch is that the economy is terrific and within 5% up or down... that most are happy with the economy they get.

I haven't been to the dealer since 2019 but I think they said over 43 mpg posted on the demo in the showroom, so that's down from the 64 mpg they advertised when I bought my car originally in april 2014 eh. I think it's the new standards though accounting for the lower fuel economy.
    Last edited by dspace9; 05-01-2020 at 01:59 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for the welcome back mate and now i feel old well i am older then last time i posted lol. Yes i did see you got one and i thought i would have had one before you. And i see you are testing out the sales market already.

does not help when they keep changing the rating system. So guess then no one has reported any real verified economy improvements. Though i did read someone here that over revved an engine replaced a pre 2017 engine with a post 2017 and seemed to have had better economy.

I am just trying to work out weather i should get a later car with engine updates or it does not really matter. now i wonder if any improvements with aerodynamics have been made as i did see something about the rear spoiler being revised as well.

glad to know some of you folks are still here

I'd get a 2017 or newer if I had the choice. They have a little more power, and had some improvements to the suspension, brakes and corrected some wiring problems for 2017. At least in the Canadian market. I can't speak for the rest of the world? The only thing that I can think of that isn't better would be the exhaust that will wear out the rubber hangers and cause noise. They use a catalytic convertor that is integral to the exhaust manifold from 2017 and newer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)