Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Swarthy :: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE (Garage entry)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I noticed something interesting this morning coming to work. I was stopped at a light and my dash coolant temp light went out, so I figured I would turn on the heat. As I did, I noticed my idle speed increase. I hit the off button, and it dropped back down. I repeated the process a few times and sure enough, if the fan was on, the idle speed increased. My guess is they do it for one of two reasons. #1 would be to increase the water pump rpm, and get more heat to the heater core. #2 would be to increase the rpm to the alternator because the heater fan is pulling more power.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I think it may be due to the PTC heaters being energized. This can be proven by monitoring their relays in some fashion.

It's times like this I wish I knew more about mapping proprietary OBD-II codes through the OBD-II port.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-12-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That makes sense and I imagine would certainly do it. According to the post below, those heaters can suck a ton of power.

Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Ok I got one. Not really a quirk but more of a hidden feature you probably didn't know.(I didn't).

Winter is coming for us on the northern half of the globe so you can try this one soon.

To augment heater performance the Mirage is equipped with an electric heating pad that is positioned in front of the heater core in the HVAC case. It warmes the air flowing to and through the heater core so it gives warm air quicker plus some of the heat gets passed on to the coolant circulating inside the heater core through this flow of warm air helping with engine warmup time.

Both automatic and manual A/C systems got it.

It is called PTC heater (Positive Temperature Coefficient) and it will operate under the following conditions:

-Engine running
    -Blower fan on
    -Temperature setting: any except MAX cool
    -Outside temp 59 degree F or lower (ambient temp sensor is at top of lower grill opening on driver side)
    -Engine coolant temp 167 degree F or lower
    -Generator output 70% or less

It has 4 heating elements controlled by 3 relays. One of the relays run 2 of the elements and the other 2 has their own elements to operate.

These three relays and three 40 amp fuses are located in the sub relay/fuse box under hood right infront of the battery.Go check it! It's there! You know you want to.

This explains why last winter the few times I used the heater (Florida here) I got pretty much instantanious heat.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I hear my alternator whirring I attribute it to my heaters running.

I'll have to remember the coolant temperature setpoint 3dplane mentioned.

I should also find a way to monitor voltage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright, time for the morning Swarthy update!

I didn't have much time last night due to an after work meeting I went to. Through a bunch of stop and go traffic I think I eeked out about 44 mpg.

Once I got home, I tried my hand at the shifter boot. I thought I might be able to get it without taking the center console apart, and I was right. With a combination of pinching and pulling the boot fabric, and finagling things, I was able to get one side clipped in, and the other side pulled back and into the clips.

Name:  mirageshifter.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  26.8 KB

I also looked into the issue I was having with my scangauge not connecting. I knew I used the scangauge on the 2015 Mirage I had tested from Mitsubishi, so I knew it worked. So, I grabbed my other scangauge that is in my wife's car, and tried it. It worked just fine. I then unplugged that scangauge from the cable, and plugged mine into it. It then worked. So, it was a bad cable. I grabbed another cable (we have them because we sell them), and that fixed it. I tell you, after driving with one of these things, you feel like your driving blind without it.

Name:  scangaugeintalled.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  78.9 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-13-2017),inuvik (12-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For my own record keeping and keeping the story of Swarthy accurate, I'm working through the heating issues in this thread:

HVAC heat blows hot on driver's side, cool on passenger side

I am hoping to flush the heater core this weekend and have this issue fixed!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Last night, while continuing my heater core flush I also took the opportunity to install my Kats 1000W circulating tank block heater. I had this block heater installed on my 1999 Chevy Metro and it was absolutely wonderful. Once the heater was turned on, it would only take about a half hour to get the engine coolant temp to over 100F.

DIY: Install a 1000W circulating block heater & accessories / goodies

What I do to make it super easy for me, is I attach the block heater to a wireless remote switch like you would use for Christmas lights or something like that. When I come home at night, I plug it in. In the morning I turn it on just a bit before I go. I unplug when I go to leave. At that point, the time to get heat is nearly nothing.

Here are some pics.

Name:  IMG_20171216_083832388.jpg
Views: 8894
Size:  95.9 KB

I mounted it on the lower part of the radiator. Not an ideal spot as there is long hose runs, but I couldn't find another place for it. It has to be mounted low in comparison to the rest of the engine as it works via natural convection.

Name:  IMG_20171218_194343178.jpg
Views: 6723
Size:  87.2 KB

Here it is with the hoses routed.

Name:  IMG_20171218_202713333.jpg
Views: 6176
Size:  91.0 KB

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-19-2017),inuvik (12-19-2017),MetroMPG (12-19-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I was able to check out and fix my Mirage's tire rubbing issue the other day. I got my wife to help me by turning the steering wheel while I looked at what was hitting. Sure enough, it was the wheel well plastic liner. It had been bulging out of place for whatever reason. I was able to simply push it back into place, and it must have re-engaged the clips it was supposed to be in. Voala, no more rubbing issues! I'm really psyched about that as now I can go get the alignment checked.

Here it is after being fixed. The outside corner of the inner plastic piece was sticking out a good 1 inch or so.

Name:  IMG_20171219_070431306.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20171219_070438431.jpg
Views: 771
Size:  81.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Swarthy got a quick mod this morning thanks to Eggman! I disabled the automatic air conditioning. This is done by holding down the a/c button for ~10 seconds. Once you do this, it will beep either 2 or 3 times. 2 beeps means automatic A/C is enabled, 3 means disabled.

Disable automatic A/C

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Fret Not! Try this - it's one of the first things I did as I didn't want the compressor running all the time. You can do it too†.

Quote Originally Posted by 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Owner's Manual

Personalizing the air conditioning switch (Changing the function setting)

You can change the following functions to match your preference.
    • Enable automatic air conditioning control:
      When the AUTO switch is pressed, or when the temperature control switch has been set to the minimum temperature, the air conditioning switch is automatically controlled.

• Disable automatic air conditioning control:
      The air conditioning switch is not automatically controlled, unless the air conditioning switch is used.

• Changing the settings
      Press the air conditioning switch for about 10 seconds or longer. When the setting has changed, the system will beep and the “❄” indicator will flash.
      • When the setting has changed from enabled to disabled, the system will beep three times and the indicator will flash three times.
      • When the setting has changed from disabled to enabled, the system will beep two times and the indicator will flash three times.

Note
    • The factory setting is “Enable automatic air conditioning control”.
    • When the defogger switch is pressed, the air conditioning will run automatically, even if the system is set to “Disable automatic air conditioning control”, in order to prevent windows from fogging up.

AUTO switch

When the AUTO switch is pressed, the mode selection, blower speed adjustment, recirculated/ outside air selection, temperature adjustment, and air conditioner ON/OFF status are all controlled automatically.
    The “AUTO” indicator will be shown in the display (A).

Notes:
    †This feature might not be available to EU markets, just like we don't get Auto Stop & Go or more Eco Leaves on the dash.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Note that the compressor will still turn on when windshield defrost is selected whether Automatic AC operation is enabled or disabled.

I usually deal with this by manually turning it off by pushing the AC button.