Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: HVAC heat blows warm/hot on drivers side, cool/cold passenger side (warranty issue)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post

The block's drain port is on the back side toward the passenger side.

Attachment 10527
    Which one is the drain? Did you have any trouble removing it? What tool did you use?

Thank you for doing this

Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Alright, I started the process earlier today. Started with a nice cleanish engine bay.

For kicks I grabbed my IR temp gun and measured things. The far driver's side vent measured about 20°F higher than the far passenger side vent.
    What IR temp readings do you get at the back of the center passage? IIRC I got 195F. At the back of the driver side passage I got 180F, passenger side was lower, about 175F.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    Which one is the drain? Did you have any trouble removing it? What tool did you use?

Thank you for doing this
    It is the hex plug with the green and pink paint under it. You can use a allen wrench to remove it. Or, I used an allen socket tool and my ratchet to remove it.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    What IR temp readings do you get at the back of the center passage? IIRC I got 195F. At the back of the driver side passage I got 180F, passenger side was lower, about 175F.
    My temps were nowhere near that. I just got it warm enough to see how balanced the heat was. I shut the car off shortly after figuring out that there was still a pretty big temperature differential.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As an update on things, I haven't gotten to flush out the CLR yet. I had some family stuff come up over the weekend and I wasn't able to get back to the car. So, the CLR is still soaking in the heater core doing its thing.

However, I did get a good idea from my boss when we talked this morning. We came up with the idea of picking up a drill pump, and circulating the CLR through the heater core. This should agitate the solution and give better results vs just soaking. So, that is the plan for tonight. I'll grab a cheap drill pump at the local hardware store and circulate the CLR around. This should also show me visibly what kind of junk its getting out of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    This is the kind of project Harbor Freight is good for.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As an update on things, I haven't gotten to flush out the CLR yet. I had some family stuff come up over the weekend and I wasn't able to get back to the car. So, the CLR is still soaking in the heater core doing its thing.

However, I did get a good idea from my boss when we talked this morning. We came up with the idea of picking up a drill pump, and circulating the CLR through the heater core. This should agitate the solution and give better results vs just soaking. So, that is the plan for tonight. I'll grab a cheap drill pump at the local hardware store and circulate the CLR around. This should also show me visibly what kind of junk its getting out of it.
    great idea ! flush it both ways if you can

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My heater seemed to provide some heat yesterday on a 25 mile trip. I had the heat set to 89 and the fan on full blast and it almost got to the point of being comfortable in the cabin. It was about 20F outside at the time. Maybe it's unplugging itself? Still waiting to hear of your progress on the CLR approach.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Last night I pumped the CLR through the system with a drill powered pump. The results were basically nothing. The CLR didn't appear to remove any noticeable amount of anything from the heater core. The CLR that was pumped through had no particulates in it. This is after sitting for just about 2 days. I pumped it in both directions, forward and back flushing the core. Still nothing noticeable. The heat remains about as it was when I flushed it before. Its definitely better, but not as good as I think it should be.

Here is the setup. Its pretty crude and was a pain in the butt to use, but it did get the job done.

Name:  IMG_20171218_183859262.jpg
Views: 1240
Size:  90.3 KB

So, I eventually filled the coolant system back up. As Inuvik said, you need to use this stuff. Its made for our engines. It was $16.50 at the local Autozone. It is pre-diluted, so no need to add water to it.

Name:  IMG_20171215_181905000.jpg
Views: 5119
Size:  97.6 KB

I also made a quick video where I use my laser thermometer to show the vent temperatures. The test was run after the heat had been blowing for a while so the temperatures stabilized for the most part.

At this point, I think its safe to say that it isn't the heater core that is the problem. Or, if it is the problem, there isn't much I can do about it. It is clean and coolant is flowing through it as best as can be expected. There is a possibility that some of the runners in it are totally plugged, but I find that pretty unlikely.

So, what are my options now? At some point, I'll probably try to stick my head under the dash and see if I can see anything wrong with the heater case. For now, I'll probably just drive it as is. Its far from unbearable. I think I'll also do the temperature test on my Civic to see how it compares. I am open to other ideas and theories on why this is happening.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (12-19-2017),Eggman (12-19-2017),Top_Fuel (12-21-2017),Wayne (12-29-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Vacuum aspirator heater control valve