Page 22 of 37 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: HVAC heat blows warm/hot on drivers side, cool/cold passenger side (warranty issue)

Thanks for the update on yours, eiriksmil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I live in Chicago and I noticed it a few months ago when it was 0 degrees F. I have a 15 DE 5 speed. I had 2 coats on, hat and gloves and I was still cold. I drove for an hour and was puzzled why my car was not getting heat. I looked around and checked my cabin filter and couldn't find anything.

I then found this thread and brought the car in to Mitsubishi. I told them to compare with a new car and see what the difference is between driver and passenger side on both cars. The temps were 20 degrees F to 30 degrees different from side to side.

They called tech line and ordered a new heater core (matrix). Upon re-assembly the tech noticed a hair line crack on the re-circulation door. They said it was preventing the heat form getting even hotter so they then had to order a new door as well. The dealer said there is an updated re-circulation door so I would ask about that if you are bringing your car in for a heater core.

They did an ok job but I wasn't impressed. They delivered the car with the firewall blanket soaked in coolant. Before I left the area I let the car run for 30 mins and low and behold I had a coolant leak the size of 6in diameter circle on the ground. Also I could see the heater core going through the firewall was wet.

I went back to the dealer and they readjusted the hoses on the heater and blew compressed air on the heater core hoses and blanket. I don't know if the leak was from the blanket or the hoses. I've been keeping an eye on the ground and the overflow bottle to make sure the level isn't changing when cold. I dropped it off Monday 10 am and left the dealer Friday at 2pm. I really was hoping I didn't have to bring the car in because once something is "fixed" its never as good as it was from the factory IMO especially on a big job like this. There are some scratches, smudges and what not but so far so good, no leaks and hot heat!
    Suck squeeze bang blow!

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bluemitsu For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (03-06-2018),Daox (03-12-2018),Eggman (03-06-2018),MetroMPG (03-06-2018),Top_Fuel (03-06-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemitsu View Post
    ...The temps were 20 degrees F to 30 degrees different from side to side.
    ...They called tech line and ordered a new heater core (matrix).
    Thanks for reporting this. It's good to know that the Tech Line is aware of the issue. That should make it easier for the rest of us when an uninformed service writer thinks you're crazy.

My heat works, but my car has the symptoms of unequal heat from side to side. I'll definitely be taking my car in for this the first time it's cold next season. After next winter, my car will be out of warranty. As much as I don't want my dash removed, I really don't want to get stuck doing this job myself in a couple of years after the warranty runs out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I am reviving this thread as I would like to figure something out before winter rolls around... and its already getting colder out. My heater definitely blows cool and even cold on very cold days. The car never really got real nice and toasty warm last winter at all. I can only imagine things have gotten a bit worse since then. So, I am looking at options. The first one on the list is probably to just replace the heater core. Not a super fun idea as it likely involves tearing apart the entire dash. Number two would be to try to circulate more unclogging stuff through the heater core. Third... I'm still working on a third options as I don't really like the other two.

Anyway, if you have ideas, let me know because I need to do something about this before it gets too much colder out.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Just checked, a new aftermarket heater core is only $60 on rock auto... quite tempting.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Just checked, a new aftermarket heater core is only $60 on rock auto... quite tempting.
    Umm...just tell me how many labor hours that job pays. If I'm doing the work, I'd rather pay $400 for a heater core that installs in 10 minutes...instead of a $40 heater core that installs in 10 hours...LOL. And then what happens if you swap heater cores and that doesn't change anything?!?

I'm going to wait until it gets cold outside again so it's easy for the dealer to duplicate. If mine hasn't improved I'm taking it in before my 5/60 warranty expires. My car will be out of warranty by the end of this winter.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I am reviving this thread as I would like to figure something out before winter rolls around... and its already getting colder out. My heater definitely blows cool and even cold on very cold days. The car never really got real nice and toasty warm last winter at all. I can only imagine things have gotten a bit worse since then. So, I am looking at options. The first one on the list is probably to just replace the heater core. Not a super fun idea as it likely involves tearing apart the entire dash. Number two would be to try to circulate more unclogging stuff through the heater core. Third... I'm still working on a third options as I don't really like the other two.

Anyway, if you have ideas, let me know because I need to do something about this before it gets too much colder out.
    You can try to put bandaids on the car all you want but if you want hot heat, which is very nice on a cold day, you need to bite the bullet and replace the heater core. Only thing I'm concerned about your rock auto heater core is the quality. I wouldn't want to rip out the dash again for some cheapo part.
    Suck squeeze bang blow!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluemitsu View Post
    ...you need to bite the bullet and replace the heater core.
    I had to go back and read post #212 to see what you were talking about. How's your heat been doing since your replacement heater core?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    And then what happens if you swap heater cores and that doesn't change anything?!?
    Or leaks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Or leaks.
    After the new heater core I haven't had any leaks except what I listed above. As for the heat, it has worked well the beginning of this year haven't used it much as of late.

Suck squeeze bang blow!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bluemitsu For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-10-2018),Top_Fuel (09-10-2018)