Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a set of tires

Yeah, I'm in no immediate hurry.
    In that case, and given your interest in fuel economy, I wouldn't take a chance on a set of tires with unknown rolling resistance properties. The difference is sometimes stunning, and it's going to be a long time for that mistake to wear out before you replace them again.

Also, stick to the OEM width for the aerodynamic benefit.

Post a "wanted" ad for Enasaves here on the forum -- lots of owners ditch their factory wheels/tires on a regular basis. Be patient, save some money, and keep the known efficiency performance.

---

My unscientific experience with Enasaves: I stuck a pair of them on the front of my junk Miata, and compared them against 2 other brands of tires I had on hand in a low-speed rolling test. The Enasaves rolled the farthest... by far.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Whoa, driving on those tires in this weather, eh? haha. I totally understand about getting the LRR tires too. I'm really considering getting LRR tires in 13" wheels (Honda Civic VX wheels) next year. Even though handling will be slight compromised, the car does its job perfectly fine at saving gas and driving around town.

Right now, I have the 175 65 14 General Altimax Snow tires all around and I can definitely see it playing a role in gas mileage and rolling resistance. With the Enasaves, I would literally gain more speed down a hill. With the snow tires, it takes some 'effort' for the car to go down a hill. But, I gotta say, the snow tires are amazing in the snow. I don't have any issues driving over an ankle deep of snow. We're suppose to accumulate 8-12 inches of snow this coming week so...we'll see how it goes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Nah, I'm not driving on them right now. I have some 14" alloy wheels with brand new tires on them. But, they rub. So, I need to find another solution.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Rub when you turn full lock? Or rub over bumps?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They seem to rub quite far from full lock. I was hoping to see what was rubbing this weekend, but didn't get to it. I find it odd that these rub, while others run Civic HX wheels which are 14" alloys with a smaller offset and the same size tire... That is why I want to investigate before making any purchases.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone tried the Firestone Champion Fuel Fighter? They're available in 185/60 R14 and would fit on the stock wheels. They're also cheaper than the RE92s or Enasaves.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Has anyone tried the Firestone Champion Fuel Fighter? They're available in 185/60 R14 and would fit on the stock wheels. They're also cheaper than the RE92s or Enasaves.
    I can let you know later how they perform as I just bought a set. But I don't plan on mounting them of course until after the winter.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-18-2017),MetroMPG (12-18-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That would be really great, thanks.

On another note, I had some time to look at the rubbing issue I had last night. It turns out the wheel well plastic was not properly in place. I was able to push it back in (re-engage a clip?) and it stayed there. It was sticking out a good 1-1.5 inches. It was sticking out right on the bottom of the front of the wheel well. Here are pics after I pushed it back in.

Name:  IMG_20171219_070431306.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20171219_070438431.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  81.7 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My original Enasaves will last another season but I plan to replace them before next winter arrives. I am just starting to think about what to get. My two options are.

1. Get more 14 inch tires to fit the stock rims. I want something that will get me the closest to the diameter of stock if I go this way.

2. Get a larger size wheel and tires. I don't really care but if I can get something that costs less and is equal or better this way, then I am all for it.

Any suggestions? I know some also like Yokohamas. I don't really care about looks and I think the stock wheel covers look good enough for my tastes. I just want a good safe and economical tire.

I think the Toyo or something like that sounds good. I am not for cheap tires either. One of my Metros came with those Wal-Mart Douglas tires on them. I had no idea until one came apart at highway speeds and nearly killed me. I changed to the spare and limped it to a gas station like a mile away and made sure the spare was topped off with air. Some guy asked what had happened and I showed him the destroyed tire. He commented "That is one of those Douglas tires from Wal-Mart. They all do that." Anyway, I have a couple friends that had the same thing happen with these tires from Wal-Mart.

I work on computers/electronics for a living and the ones from Wal-Mart are the same way. I am not a tire expert but if they are anything like the electronics I see, then I want nothing to do with them.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Just my two cents, but I have the Toyo Extensa A/S in 185/60r14. After 20k miles I'm almost to the wear bars. My stock Enasaves were in similar shape after 15k miles, so perhaps my driving style has something to do with it. I do keep my tires at 40psi.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Angrybeaver For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-24-2018)