Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose a set of tires

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts

Help me choose a set of tires

So, as many of you probably know, my Mirage tires are BALD. Here is a pic showing one of the front tires.

In the mean time, I've put a set of wheels and tires that I had for my Toyota Tercel on it. They are Sport Edition D5 wheels with Fuzion HRi 185/60R14 tires on it. However, the offset must be far enough off, because they rub fairly bad. I really can't turn nearly as far as I'd like and have to be very careful. So, I need to get some new tires on the stock wheels I think.

The first thing I do is look up what 165/65R14 tires are available. Unfortunately, its a pretty short list. I love the RE92s that I have on my Honda Insight, but they are definitely on the pricey side. Other than that, there are the Enasaves. But, those are even more expensive than the RE92s. Unless someone here has a set they don't want kicking around, I'll probably pass.

So, that leads me to alternative sizes. I checked things out and I know a bunch of guys are using 175/65R14 tires. I think I would rather stick a little closer to OEM size. That leaves me with 185/60R14s.

So, I think these are my main options:

Fuzion HRi - Remount my tires I have now on my OEM steel wheels. This is definitely the cheapest option at probably $80-100. These things aren't getting any newer since my Tercel isn't currently running and they are just sitting.

OHTSU FP0612 - Discount Tire has these for $39 a piece. With install, the price comes to $256. Not bad at all.

GT Radial Champiro VP1 - Discount Tire has these for $39 a piece. With install, the price comes to $256. Again, not bad. They have slightly better summer ratings, and worse winter than the FP0612 according to customer reviews.

General Altimax RT43 - I can get these for about $325 installed. Most likely a much better tire than the two above.

Hankook Optimo H724 - Discount Tire has these for $294 installed. This tire has great ratings on their site. Again, probably superior to the two $39 tires.

I'd really like a LRR tire that is good on the fuel economy. But, I'm not finding anything reasonable. Tire Rack has the Firestone Champion Fuel Fighter, but its going to be about $400 or a little more installed.

So, any input on these tires, or other ones I missed would be much appreciated.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    How about Federal SS-657? I had a set on my Optima and they lasted me 60k and were great tires. They run about $50 if you buy on Ebay etc. They will my next set for sure.
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the Hankook Optimo H724's on my summer wheels.

I got them at 15k miles so engine break-in probably minimized the mpg hit. I also got my rear alignment fixed at 15k so it's hard to make an accurate estimate of the mpg difference. FWIW, I average around 44 mpg in the summer driving like a maniac.

These do grip better even with the 70k treadwear rating (we'll see about that). If they last anywhere near 70k, I think it will be worth it. Even with a proper alignment I'm not sure those dunlops would have made it past 30k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to anog For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    ...my Mirage tires are BALD. Here is a pic...
    Wow! So how many miles are on those tires?

Can you hold out for the next Discount Tire sale? Hopefully they will run another promotion around Christmas/New Years. It's tough to beat their deals if you max out all of their rebates. You can treat yourself to a new set of wheels at the same time and almost beat the price of 4 tires at other places. Car Nut bought new wheels and tires and only spent $214 after rebates (link here).

Here's what the most recent deals looked like...

Name:  discounttire.jpg
Views: 726
Size:  67.3 KB

At those prices you might even consider moving up to 15" wheels.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-13-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Yeah, I'm in no immediate hurry. I can wait around a little bit. I'd just like to figure out what what all my options are and figure out what I want to do.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My friend bought a set of 4 P175/65R14 Toyo Extensa A/S tires for her Mirage and loves them. I also have these same tires on my 96 Metro. I love Toyo tires and we sell them at the shop I work at and never had an issue. My 15" wheels for my Mirage have Toyo tires also.

I refuse to buy cheap tires like Hankook, Fusion, Mastercraft, or any Walmart tire.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by anog View Post
    I have the Hankook Optimo H724's on my summer wheels.

I got them at 15k miles so engine break-in probably minimized the mpg hit. I also got my rear alignment fixed at 15k so it's hard to make an accurate estimate of the mpg difference. FWIW, I average around 44 mpg in the summer driving like a maniac.

These do grip better even with the 70k treadwear rating (we'll see about that). If they last anywhere near 70k, I think it will be worth it. Even with a proper alignment I'm not sure those dunlops would have made it past 30k.
    Hankook make a set of good reliable tires too... definitely not a bad choice there either.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I refuse to buy cheap tires...
    We used to have a forum member (Basic) who was a tire engineer. I remember him commenting about some off-brand tires that someone had just purchased...

Resident Tire Engineer checking in here... if you look closely (not even all that closely on these really) in the ribs of the tire. You see how the rubber isn't all one color? Its swirly and striated? That means that the tread rubber on these was mixed very very poorly. It screams to me of cheap raw materials and the fastest mix cycle possible, along with a bad extrusion process, and little to no Quality Assurance final inspection. I'm disheartened just looking at them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-15-2017),Eggman (12-15-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thing is, in another life, when I was pushing expensive cars and tires hard and fast it was the "BIG" name brand tires that would fail at the worst time.

Even now, on my bikes, it's the top end tires that are gone in a few KM's, or have defects surface that an expensive tire should not have. No, I don't run $20 HungLow specials on my Fireblade but I don't spend top dollar anymore either. Waste of money.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-15-2017),daleWV (12-15-2017)