Thread: 2014 Motor & Transmission on 2002 Mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2014 Motor & Transmission on 2002 Mirage

Hey hows it going? I am a big mitsubishi fan. I currently own a 2003 Eclipse GTS and a 2006 Eclipse GS. My first car was a 2002 Galant. I am looking into buying a 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage but seems like the original motor and transmission is done for good. I was able to find a 2014 motor and transmission for a resonable price. But im not much of a mechanic. I was wondering if it was possible to install the 2014 motor and transmission into the 2002 Mirage body? If so, what are your personal opinions on what would be some of the bigger challanges?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by erlan03 View Post
    Hey hows it going? I am a big mitsubishi fan. I currently own a 2003 Eclipse GTS and a 2006 Eclipse GS. My first car was a 2002 Galant. I am looking into buying a 2002 Mitsubishi Mirage but seems like the original motor and transmission is done for good. I was able to find a 2014 motor and transmission for a resonable price. But im not much of a mechanic. I was wondering if it was possible to install the 2014 motor and transmission into the 2002 Mirage body? If so, what are your personal opinions on what would be some of the bigger challanges?
    Welcome! In my opinion, such swaps are usually more trouble than they are worth. Wiring, you would have to figure out how to get the half-shafts to adapt, motor mounts, on, and on, and on...

This is definitely an 'expert level' project, and I wouldn't even try it without a huge shop full of every tool imaginable. The two engines are completely different...right down to the number of cylinders they have.

The '14-15 Mirages are getting cheaper by the day. I suggest just waiting to find one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-15-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Welcome! In my opinion, such swaps are usually more trouble than they are worth. Wiring, you would have to figure out how to get the half-shafts to adapt, motor mounts, on, and on, and on...

This is definitely an 'expert level' project, and I wouldn't even try it without a huge shop full of every tool imaginable. The two engines are completely different...right down to the number of cylinders they have.

The '14-15 Mirages are getting cheaper by the day. I suggest just waiting to find one.
    Plus transmission linkage, ecu and wiring for that, custom made power steering pump bracket and piping since ours isn't belt driven..... plus much much more.

Cool project possibly... not worth it though.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    With the ECU overseeing everything you'd be dealing with electronics from all four corners and from top to bottom.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I agree with the others. I definitely can be done. But, it would be a huge undertaking. If you're not much of a mechanic, I would shy away.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Interesting first post! Very ambitious indeed.

I would guess that the likely transplant would be to put a larger motor into the current Mirage rather than put a smaller motor into a 2002 Mirage.

Along with mechanical aptitude, one must be able to program the various electronic controllers to work together - if they will even talk to one another.

Which engine controller would you use? I wonder if an ECU for a four-cylinder can be adapted to run a three-cylinder motor? I doubt it, but who knows.

The ETACS on today's Mirage is configured to communicate with the ECU including MIVEC, a CVT controller (if equipped), an immobiliser, the electronic MID (dashboard display), the radio including Bluetooth hands-free interface, the ABS, ASC (Active Stability Control) - incuding Hill Start Assist, automatic climate control, electric steering assist controller - what else did I miss?... Don't forget to take into account today's Mirage CAN bus communication protocol might not be supported by the controllers on the 2002 Mirage chassis. In that case the modern CAN bus controllers would have to be used, and it is unknown if they will adapt to the 2002 Mirage chassis characteristics.

From this point of view, the transplant might need more electronic expertise than mechanical.

So erlan03, still think you want to do it?

When I was a teenager, I put my first car together. I used the body of a 1976 Dodge Colt station wagon - which had a seized motor - and installed the motor from a rusted out 1977 Plymouth Arrow. No CAN bus worries there!
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-15-2017 at 07:54 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thank you guys for the helpful insight. I didnt considered as many these things. Still new to the Mirage world. I know that on the Eclipse 3G you are able to upgrade the engine from that of a 4G Eclipse much easier. But, I understand that every car is different. I might just replace the motor of that 02 Mirage with one of the same year model instead. If not I will try to buy a 2014 or 2015 Mirage. Everything is still up in the air in the moment.

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This would be difficult. Mitsubishi did have a 3A9 engine in the 2003 Colt, but not in your 2002 Mirage. If you had the Colt it might have worked well.

The best cost effective decision would be to buy the same engine like you said.

Its not impossible to do. Guys that do engine swaps usually have more money than the rest of us...

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-16-2017)