Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: gear oil

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    DO NOT use a GL5 gear oil in a synchronized manual transmission. You need the fluid to be "yellow metal compatible." If not you will destroy your synchronizers.

The anti-wear additives in GL5 are great if you use them in a rear end or transfer case with steel gears but not brass synchronizers.

Any fluid that has that nasty stench is usually not yellow metal compatible. Those who have been around much gear oil know what I mean about the stench. It is a terrible odor. Again, this is great for steel gears but not so much for brass synchronizers.

I plan to buy some Redline MTL 75W80 for my Mirage quite shortly.

Conor

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    DO NOT use a GL5 gear oil in a synchronized manual transmission. You need the fluid to be "yellow metal compatible." If not you will destroy your synchronizers.

The anti-wear additives in GL5 are great if you use them in a rear end or transfer case with steel gears but not brass synchronizers.

Any fluid that has that nasty stench is usually not yellow metal compatible. Those who have been around much gear oil know what I mean about the stench. It is a terrible odor. Again, this is great for steel gears but not so much for brass synchronizers.

I plan to buy some Redline MTL 75W80 for my Mirage quite shortly.

Conor

I fully agree with that, but keep in mind some oils are marked "GL4 and GL5" and those can be used as both GL4 or as GL5, because they do not corrode brass.

Straight GL5 is certainly no good for our cars! With GL5, after time a black residue will develop, and that is nothing else than corrosion product from deteriorating brass. Actually even old-fashioned GL3 in 75W80 is good enough for our cars, and has been specified by Mitsubishi in years long ago for the same gearbox, albeit with different a differential. The FSM actually specifies GL4, but further in the text it mentions GL3, probably from copy-and-paste text modules written years before.
    The Mitsubishi original oil is neutral in colour and practically odorless, just as the replacement GL4/-5 75W80 from ROWE.
    Hyundai OEM GL4 75W80 oil is also suitable, but whatever you do, you will want to keep with fully synthetic GL4, or GL4 and GL5 and with 75W80. Do some research in the net, download data sheets of competing products and compare viscosities!

You may want to look at this thread:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...merican-source
    Last edited by foama; 01-20-2018 at 09:49 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-20-2018)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ahausheer View Post
    I have been using (experimenting?) with Redline D4 ATF. Its suitable for use in manuals and is as thin a 70w-80 as possible. I have been using it for about 12,000 miles and it shifts like a dream. So far so good with no issues.
    hi sir any update on this? hows the D4 ATF on your mirage? any issues? thnx

Country
    United States
    Thanks

A lot of cars use ATF as their manual transmission fluid BUT there is a warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbai View Post
    I know many modern cars use ATF as their MTF fluid but don't know if I would want to do this on a car that is under warranty. I assume you can run an oil analysis on transmission fluid just like you can on motor oil. That would be a good way to see how it does in terms of wear. Of course the test would need to be specific to a manual transmission.

Conor

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cwatkin For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-19-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rabbai View Post
    At 20K miles (32,000km) on the fluid now, 80K miles on the car, and it shifts very well when cold and when very hot.

No objective data at this point, but subjectively everything is working very well.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2018),Eggman (12-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Thanks for the update!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)