Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gear oil

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

gear oil

I've been having "notchy" shifting recently on my '14 mirage 5 speed with 38,000 miles. I've tried adjusting the clutch but not much improvement. I think I need to change the gear oil. Seems straight forward, until I tried to buy 75w80 gear oil. Napa has some for $36 a quart(!) but they'd have to get it shipped in.
    Are all 75w80 oils this expensive?
    Can I use a 75w90 weight oil w/ GL4 and GL5 ratings? (This is readily available and more reasonably priced)
    Thanks for any ideas about this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've used 80w90 and its really not good in my opinion

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I would not use a 75W90. That is too thick.

Most of the guys have reported the Redline MTL 75W-80 has worked well for them.

The OEM lube is Mitsubishi multi gear oil eco API GL-4, SAE 75W-80.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I put in Redline MTL at just over 60,000 miles. The difference was very noticeable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been using (experimenting?) with Redline D4 ATF. Its suitable for use in manuals and is as thin a 70w-80 as possible. I have been using it for about 12,000 miles and it shifts like a dream. So far so good with no issues.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gone.a For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by philavine View Post
    I've been having "notchy" shifting recently on my '14 mirage 5 speed with 38,000 miles.
    This is a comment that's usually heard on the Mirage manual transmission when new. What steps can be taken? Not many. The easy steps are adjust the clutch & change the oil. I hope this isn't the beginning of bigger problems for you.

I've tried adjusting the clutch but not much improvement.
    Can you describe your adjustment procedure? The adjustment has been posted here but I'm not sure if you followed it or tried your own method.

I think I need to change the gear oil. Seems straight forward, until I tried to buy 75w80 gear oil. Napa has some for $36 a quart(!) but they'd have to get it shipped in.
    Are all 75w80 oils this expensive?
    No. While there are other options for manual transmission lubricants that meet the original specifications, most forum members have reported positive results using Redline Full Synthetic MTL 75w80.

Red Line MTL 75W80 GL-4 Gear Oil Quart Gallon
    Amazon $19.74 $61.00
    Red Line $17.95 $71.95
    Summit Racing $16.95 $67.95

I'm not sure where you are in North Carolina but I'm sure you can find it locally. Visit RedLineOil.com to find a dealer near you. O'Reilly Auto Parts is listed as a distributor.

Can I use a 75w90 weight oil w/ GL4 and GL5 ratings? (This is readily available and more reasonably priced)
    I'm sure you can use a thicker oil in your manual transmission, but do you want to? I'm not sure a thicker oil will help make shifting easier, but maybe it will. You'll want to stick to GL-4 as GL-5 is known to be a problem with the synchronizers.

Thanks for any ideas about this.
    If you do use 75w90, we all would want to know how it works for you. It would be interesting to know the condition of what you drain out. Would you consider having a used oil analysis done?
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-16-2017 at 11:38 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, thanks every one. I decided to buy the redline mtf. I did follow the helpful clutch adjustment post on the form. Lowered the grab point a bit but made no difference.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I did follow the helpful clutch adjustment post on the form. Lowered the grab point a bit but made no difference.
    Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, I would expect lowering the friction point would make shifting worse.

Wouldn't it be better to adjust the clutch so the engagement point is higher? That way when the clutch pedal is depressed, it more fully de-couples the motor from the transmission. Not too high though or the clutch will slip.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I also use redline MTL. Was like 50 a gallon on Amazon

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Unless I misunderstand what you are saying, I would expect lowering the friction point would make shifting worse.

Wouldn't it be better to adjust the clutch so the engagement point is higher? That way when the clutch pedal is depressed, it more fully de-couples the motor from the transmission. Not too high though or the clutch will slip.
    Your right, "notching" seemed more pronounced. I brought the clutch back the other direction, the notching is still there but not as bad.
    Awaiting my redline mtf, will do that and see. If that doesn't fix it, then it's to the dealer. I hope it isn't the transmission going, but if so it'll be under warranty.