Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone replaced a clutch?

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Tyres and motor oil both have a shelf life.
    Motor oil often has a stated shelf life of about five years.
    Tyres become brittle in time, the rubber becoming harder. The flexing of rubber, namely using the tyres, slows that process down. If they are used occaisionally the rubber may last about twice as long as if not.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I went ahead and placed an order for the eBay clutch kit and a set of axle nuts. Clutch could go out tomorrow or could last another 100k miles. Should it go out though, I won't have to worry about paying a million dollars to overnight the parts.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I went ahead and placed an order for the eBay clutch kit and a set of axle nuts. Clutch could go out tomorrow or could last another 100k miles. Should it go out though, I won't have to worry about paying a million dollars to overnight the parts.
    Bump. I'm going to start pulling the car apart today.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    Its super ez you guys. I pulled my trans and swapped it in my driveway start to finish 1 day.

Doax is Right the trans weighs like 60lbs.

Theres only 3 things that are noteworthy

1. Buy 2 axle nuts don't reuse the old ones
    2. You'll have to support the engine seperate from the car because it's like a 90s honda (nothing really underneath it, hung by each side)
    3. The shift linkage. Just tug it real hard or pry it off with a little crowbar. I was stumped on this fishing around for a release with a pick... No just tug pops on and off
    The service manual mentions having to remove the starter and catalytic converter. Just curious if this is really necessary or not. Thanks.

I didn't pull the cat when I replaced cvt's. I had to pull starter obviously for torque bolts, it may have been bolted to the transmission? It was only two bolts and way less dicking around than the cat. I've had luck re using axle nuts on most cars but not all.
    Rocketship or Loren would hopefully be able to give you better answers.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I didn't pull the cat when I replaced cvt's. I had to pull starter obviously for torque bolts, it may have been bolted to the transmission? It was only two bolts and way less dicking around than the cat. I've had luck re using axle nuts on most cars but not all.
    Rocketship or Loren would hopefully be able to give you better answers.
    Yeah. Pulling the starter makes sense. It’s pouring down rain right now. I just moved the car into the shop and once the harsh weather passes I’ll go out there and start taking things apart.

It’s been hot the past few weeks and this rain is just what I needed to make this a comfortable repair. Lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ended up pulling the air filter housing, battery box/stand, drained the transmission oil and pulled the hubs. Unfortunately my 15 inch pry bar isn't doing a good job at removing the axles from the transmission. I probably spent an hour trying to get those things out before giving up. Looks like its time to make a trip to Harbor Freight for an assortment of pry bars.

This is what I currently have:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/15-1-2...-bar-2529.html

Any suggestions on a better tool? My biggest problem is that the car isn't very high off the ground as it is sitting on jack stands. My tool might have worked had the car been higher up in the air. With the vehicle's current height, the pry bar bottoms out on the ground when I try to get some leverage.

This shouldn't be so difficult. I've replaced the driver side axle before. But this time I couldn't get either side to pop out.

Suggestions?

I am thinking of getting one of these sets of tools, or perhaps all of them:

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-piec...set-67477.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/pry-ba...-pc-68339.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piec...-set-1654.html
    Last edited by stevedmc; 07-03-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I ended up pulling the air filter housing, battery box/stand, drained the transmission oil and pulled the hubs. Unfortunately my 15 inch pry bar isn't doing a good job at removing the axles from the transmission. I probably spent an hour trying to get those things out before giving up. Looks like its time to make a trip to Harbor Freight for an assortment of pry bars.
    Maybe get the drive-up ramps, that you can store when you're not using them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Maybe get the drive-up ramps, that you can store when you're not using them.
    I have a set of drive up ramps. I’m not trying to be a smart ass but how can I drive up ramps when the car doesn’t have any front wheels?

Name:  349D0338-3A54-4634-90D2-FDA11A2B8152.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  92.1 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (07-03-2020),Fummins (07-03-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wonder if it would be worth it to order one of these tools:

https://www.amazon.com/ABN-Front-Whe...ws_feature_div