Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has anyone replaced a clutch?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I spoke too soon.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...h&_sacat=33730

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Mit...RaBdrb&vxp=mtr

The clutch set on these will be about $400 with the pressure plate, throwout bearing, and clutch disc. Also, how about an alingment tool? I guess you could make one from something. A bolt with some tape wrapped around it worked well for the Metro. Is there any type of pilot bearing on these? I couldn't find one but often that part fits another car or you can often re-use these unlike a throwout bearing which I always change.

This makes me miss the Geo Metro clutch kits with everything you need and a lifetime warranty for $100.

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got my Clutch Release Bearing and Clutch Pad from eBay. Cost around 200 for everything. It took me about 2hrs to remove the whole wheel well innards and the caliper and CV Axles on both sides. Removed the starter and disconnected all wiring bolted around trans and gearbox. Idk how long it will take my mechanic friend to dismount the engine from mount and disconnect trans. I am putting it back together this weekend. It took awhile cause I had to find parts and receive them lol. I will update when finished. Side Note: Make sure to disconnect shifter linkage from gearbox through topside and DONT MOVE THE LINKAGE DURING OR AFTER REMOVAL!!! Also when I removed my starter I could see the mangled remains of my clutch, looked like a dead raccoon/cat IMO.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The parts I posted show the 2014 and 2015 models. Are these parts different on a 2017 and later?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am not sure. I heard that 2014-2018 are all same as long as its for 1.2L engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Parts will become available more and more as time goes by. The oldest Metro is 29 years old now. The oldest Mirage is just over 3 years.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Only the Gen 5 is 3 years old. Mirages have been around since the 80's

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know the Mirage, Dodge Colt Vista or whatever it was called has been around a long long time. They are the same car in name only though much like the Geo Metro and the Geo Prism shared the same name but the rest was different. Sometimes my searches bring up the old Mirage parts and they are cheap compared to the new stuff. I am glad I am seeing serpentine belts, radiator hoses, and water pumps, etc. available now for these. Has anyone changed a water pump yet?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm confused. Do our cheap tin cans use the same clutch kit as a 2015 Dodge Attitude?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, the Dodge Attitude is a rebadged Mirage sold in Mexico. I wish they would bring it here so there would be more and more support and aftermarket parts.

I like the looks of this as it includes everything.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/CLUTCH-KIT-...MAAOSwbgpaoV3B

Do these cars have a pilot bearing that fits into the end of the crankshaft or into the flywheel as I have seen in other cars?

Conor

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    Do these cars have a pilot bearing that fits into the end of the crankshaft or into the flywheel as I have seen in other cars?

Conor
    I called a dealership today asking about clutch parts. He agreed with me that I only needed a clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing.

Is the pilot bearing the part that goes in the engine? I don't know the measurements but those can be ordered from eBay for just a few dollars.

Anyway, the dealership quoted me $544 for the three parts and didn't even have them in stock. I wouldn't mind going the dealership route if they kept things in stock and could sell for less than $400.

Of course, this eBay kit for $114 changes everything. Ill wait for someome else to chime in that it works and if so, ill go ahead and order a kit to put on the shelf until my clutch burns up.

Someone else on the forum also mentioned replacing the axel nuts. Supposedly they get damaged taking them off. They are real cheap so I'll order those when I get the eBay clutch.

Incidentally, I sent an email to the eBay seller asking if it will work on a 2014 Mirage and am awaiting a response.