Thread: Drivers window stuck

Drivers window stuck

I just had a 17' come in with the driver saying the window is crooked. It looked like it came off the guides and it wouldn't move. I pulled the door panel off and there was only one bolt holding it in place and another was hanging by a thread above it! Thankfully it's an easy fix. I had to add a washer to one of the bolts cause the door was a little mangled at one of the mounting holes. One mount on the regulator was bent too. Figured I'd let others know if they run into the same problem. This car has 75k kms. I tried to take pics but my phone is kinda hooped.
    Attachment 10583 Attachment 10584

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

anog (12-21-2017),Cobrajet (12-22-2017),daleWV (12-21-2017),Daox (12-21-2017),Johnny Mullet (12-21-2017),Wallythacker (12-21-2017)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You know what. I thought I heard a weird click noise when the window hit it's upper stop a few times lately. I might have to check it out.

This is the first time I've seen this happen. Thankfully the missing bolts were still behind the plastic. I like that these cars don't have those stupid regulators with cables that break all the time.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

This same problem happened to a 2017 Mirage a few weeks ago. Drivers window got jammed halfway up. 3 of the window regulator bolts came loose and fell out. Tore the bolt holes open in the door itself, bent the window regulator. Was able to straighten it and use fender washers on the mounting bolts. Attachment 17107
    And today I have another 17' in the shop for service. I noticed the drivers window goes up crooked til it reaches the top. I pulled the door panel and big surprise, one regulator mounting bolt fell out and the other 3 are loose.

If you notice your window not working properly or have way too much time on your hands it'd be a good idea to loctite those bolts in place. I don't recall seeing this problem on a 2015?
    Attachment 17106
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-18-2020 at 04:37 PM.
    Mirage videos:

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (02-18-2020),Top_Fuel (02-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Macmoto (02-18-2020)

Glad you caught that early!
    Edit: 2 years ago.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This same problem happened to a 2017 Mirage a few weeks ago. Drivers window got jammed halfway up. 3 of the window regulator bolts came loose and fell out. Tore the bolt holes open in the door itself, bent the window regulator. Was able to straighten it and use fender washers on the mounting bolts. Attachment 17107
    And today I have another 17' in the shop for service. I noticed the drivers window goes up crooked til it reaches the top. I pulled the door panel and big surprise, one regulator mounting bolt fell out and the other 3 are loose.

If you notice your window not working properly or have way too much time on your hands it'd be a good idea to loctite those bolts in place. I don't recall seeing this problem on a 2015?
    Attachment 17106
    Score another point for team 2014/2015 model years! More durable window rolling design! Ill take that over a "refined" engine and an extra 4 hp! lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just had a 17' come in with the driver saying the window is crooked. It looked like it came off the guides and it wouldn't move. I pulled the door panel off and there was only one bolt holding it in place and another was hanging by a thread above it! Thankfully it's an easy fix. I had to add a washer to one of the bolts cause the door was a little mangled at one of the mounting holes. One mount on the regulator was bent too. Figured I'd let others know if they run into the same problem. This car has 75k kms. I tried to take pics but my phone is kinda hooped.
    Fummins - Do you suspect some of your drivers are trying to open a window that may be frozen shut? The damage to the inside of the door may be the result of a stronger window motor regulator on the 2017 models?

Just a hypothesis on my part. If a person wants to add life to their power windows, cleaning your window tracks with a silicone spray may help. Less friction = less strain on the motors.

If you know the window is frozen shut, don't open it. You may have to get out of your car instead of using the drive through for breakfast on a cold morning!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1odBu9tNmY

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Totally not an issue of frozen windows. Mine happened during warm weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Fummins - Do you suspect some of your drivers are trying to open a window that may be frozen shut? The damage to the inside of the door may be the result of a stronger window motor regulator on the 2017 models?
    Blaming people rather than the car is common practice for me but this problem can be blamed on the car caused by someone in thailand.

Mirage videos: