Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Mirage warranty replacements: engine, CVT, rear axle

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2014 Mirage warranty replacements: engine, CVT, rear axle

Seems like a good time to share a bit about my Mirages story.

I got a 2014 Mirage ES with a CVT
    My Mirage has 96,000 kms so 59,000 miles.

So far I've replaced the break pads & the engine as well as the transmission. Also the rear end for tire wear issues.

The engine for awhile started to make a noise that would at first come and go.
    I'm unsure how to describe the noise right now because it's been awhile...

But the dealership didn't hear the issue the first few times I brought it, then when they did they didn't give me an answer about it.
    I took it to a different dealership that acknowledge the noise. (By this point it pretty much was always there)

They seem to have a very hands off approach of dealing with these problems. Basically they recorded a video with the sound it was making and sent it to the corporate side of Mitsubishi.
    The service adviser felt this was the timing chain but since I guess they don't bother to tear anything down the best answer I have was his guess.

This dragged on for months with me getting more and more annoyed to the point where I called the corporate side of Mitsubishi and they stepped in.... then Ta-Da they were sending my car a new engine.

I find it strange that they feel its cheaper to send a whole new engine rather then repair the issue.
    But I won't argue.

When they were replacing the engine I also figured this was a good time to change the CVT fluid.
    So I had them do this at the same time to give the transmission a fresh start.

As soon as I left with the car to drive home, every time I took off with any small amount of speed the whole car would vibrate.
    Only when from a standstill and only when its done slightly spirited.
    If I go like a granny it was fine. Or if I was already moving it was fine.
    (basically only when the transmission was "geared" at its lowest)

They checked it out and said this was the transmission.
    The thing he first said is basically they used a different CVT fluid from the factory original and give it like a week.
    Week past no difference.

I always found that answer strange and made me wonder if they used the wrong fluid... The way he said things were that Mitsubishi changed the fluid they used on them.... but idk.
    I felt it was either the wrong fluid or the wrong amount. Because my transmission was 100% fine when I took it in.

This carried on for much longer then I liked, they tested things again and confirmed that one of the lines for the transmission was showing high pressure.
    So they sent that into mitsubishi.

My Mirage also always would destroy the rear tire every 20,000kms/12,000 miles with rotations.
    This issue was denied by both dealerships.
    But when I spoke to one of the Mitsubishi people on the corporate side on the phone he knew of this issue.
    But seems like Mitsubishi doesn't want to admit to this issue so its not in the dealerships resources on there computers.
    (But corporate are well aware of this issue)
    But the corporate fellow had the dealership set me up for a rear alignment check, after that they decided to replace the rear end.
    This was done at the same time as the CVT.

I recently got my car back with a new transmission and rear end on it. (basically a new car now)

But was still vibrating on the stand still take off. (low "gear" high torque)
    The operations manager of my local dealer personally checked out the car after this. he had it for like an hour and a half and resolved the issue.
    Gave me a vague answer that something wasn't sitting right.

Don't know if this is true or not. or if he corrected a larger issue of incompetence and is simply covering it up.
    (Whatever this issue is I wonder if this is the same issue it was having after the engine swap)

That was just done today, and at this moment everything seems fine.

I gained allot of respect for the corporate side of Mitsubishi!
    But lost all respect for my local dealers.

This is the trimmed down version of my story more focused on fact rather then the BS i went though.
    Since this fight has been going on for around a year when the engine noise first started!

I decided to wait till everything was resolved before I would share my story here.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DylanM For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-19-2017),Eggman (12-19-2017),MetroMPG (12-22-2017),Wallythacker (12-20-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Wow, that was quite the ordeal. Glad things were finally worked out, sad it took that much hassle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DylanM View Post

I got a 2014 Mirage ES with a CVT
    My Mirage has 96,000 kms so 59,000 miles.

So far I've replaced the break pads & the engine as well as the transmission. Also the rear end for tire wear issues.
    Wow talk about a pain in the neck. Sorry you had to go through all this, but I'm glad you shared it here for other's benefit.

While I'm glad Mitsubishi's North America corporate offices support their customers, I wonder why some of their dealers put up such a fight? Is it a matter of compensation?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I gained allot of respect for the corporate side of Mitsubishi!
    But lost all respect for my local dealers.
    This seems to be more of a normal thing sadly. I'm very glad to hear you got it all cleared up though, and thank you for sharing!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Wow...that's a heck of a laundry list!

I find it strange that they feel its cheaper to send a whole new engine rather then repair the issue.
    Sometimes manufacturers want to see failed assemblies so they can be disassembled and studied. Hopefully this is what happened to your engine.

My Mirage also always would destroy the rear tire every 20,000kms/12,000 miles with rotations.
    Ugh...have you been reading this forum long or did you just find it? There's been so much discussion of this topic that when you do a web search for "Mirage alignment problem" you end up in this forum. Hopefully more Mirage owners will find help that way.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Wow talk about a pain in the neck. Sorry you had to go through all this, but I'm glad you shared it here for other's benefit.

While I'm glad Mitsubishi's North America corporate offices support their customers, I wonder why some of their dealers put up such a fight? Is it a matter of compensation?
    As a former Mazda dealership employee I can guess that the time allocated by corporate to swap the engine is too low. That means the lowest seniority tech gets the job. Usually the least experienced too. All this is IMO from what I used to see.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-20-2017),DylanM (12-22-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

I have a friend who used to work at a local Chrysler Dealership as a mechanic.
    What he explained to me Chrysler would only pay the dealer by how long the job should take in the book.

So lets say the vehicle is more rusty and none of the bolts want to come loose, to bad. Or if any other complications come about the job.

If the job took longer, his dealership would put the loss on there employees.
    So if the job was supposed to take him 2 hours but due to complications it took 4 hours. My friend the mechanic only got paid for 2 hours I understood!

Now maybe not every dealership treats there employees so bad... Maybe these Mitsubishi dealerships take on the loss themselves.
    It's also a pretty safe bet I understood that most of the time things would take longer then the guidelines.
    That or to keep there mechanics happy.... They might just try to avoid doing any warranty repairs when possible.

I understood from my mechanic friend that his dealerships would try to stretch things out till there warranty ended.
    It seemed like the Mitsubishi dealership goal was to do that to me since I was going at it for over a year!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Ugh...have you been reading this forum long or did you just find it? There's been so much discussion of this topic that when you do a web search for "Mirage alignment problem" you end up in this forum. Hopefully more Mirage owners will find help that way.
    Yeah I've been reading these forums since I got my Mirage back in 2014 on random things.
    I also read about the alignment problem on here as well. I haven't read everything and I haven't been reading anything recent about it.

But I'm unsure what other members have concluded but I truly feel the corporate side of Mitsubishi is trying to keep this quite to avoid having to recall the rear end of all there mirages.

I believe my local dealership that within there computer software that is supposed to highlight known problems to them says nothing about the rear ends!

But the corporate side of Mitsubishi Canada I was speaking to, the guy on the phone seemed very well aware of this issue!
    I had him call and explain to the local dealership and that's when they sent my car over to check the rear alignment.

I feel this is a big issue for sure with Mirage owners, I've even purchased used tires before from someone where I could tell his Mirage had the same exact issue!
    This should be fixed by a recall but this is not a small repair & will cost Mitsubishi a fortune I'm sure!

The guy on the phone was even aware that at first some of the rear ends they would send out originally had the same exact problem. But stated to me that this should be cleared up now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    As a former Mazda dealership employee I can guess that the time allocated by corporate to swap the engine is too low. That means the lowest seniority tech gets the job. Usually the least experienced too. All this is IMO from what I used to see.
    Yep just like my mechanic friend who worked at Chrysler said. So i feel this is a very common issue.
    Not so much with the whole least experienced techs doing the job with his dealership.... He never mentioned that.
    But I feel it's likely a "playing favourites" kinda scenario.
    The dealership I was dealing with for these repairs sounds to short staffed to be choosy on who worked on my car.
    I also see your from the Niagara Region!
    That's where I'm originally from! Born & raised in Niagara Falls!

================================================== =

One side note, something I think i forgot to put in my original post, the guy on the phone from the corporate side of Mitsubishi said to me if my rear end was found to be the problem, that they would likely be able to cover me a new set up tires!
    I still gotta call back and ask into this! I've been though many sets of tires on my car already so I would love to get at least one set of tires given to me!
    My All season tires are crap because I simply purchased the cheapest Chinese tire I could find someone selling.
    I would expect them to buy me proper big brand name tires!
    I would maybe ask for snows but I waited till the rear end was replaced before I had installed a new set of Chinese winter tires that seem decent so far...
    If anyone wants to know I can let everyone know how this went? (Once I remember to call & get the ball rolling)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DylanM For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-21-2017),Eggman (12-21-2017),Wallythacker (12-23-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    We would absolutely like to hear how it goes for you. Thanks for posting all the info!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    ...Chrysler would only pay the dealer by how long the job should take in the book.
    ...If the job took longer, his dealership would put the loss on there employees.
    ...if the job was supposed to take him 2 hours but...it took 4 hours. My friend...only got paid for 2 hours
    This is called "flat rate" and is how most dealers (and private shops) pay their technicians. You get paid for the amount of time the book says. You can make a living at it...but it's not easy.

Unfortunately, the customer can end up on the short end of the deal. This is why hard problems can become a nightmare for the customer. If a tech only gets paid 30 minutes to diagnose a problem, he's not going to spend 2 hours on your car to find a tough problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

DylanM (12-22-2017)

I like piece work

Last edited by Fummins; 02-12-2021 at 07:45 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (12-22-2017),DylanM (12-22-2017),Top_Fuel (12-22-2017)