Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2015 mirage wont start help!!? (Cranks but won't fire)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You may want to just see if it happens again. This has happened to a couple of people before. Holding the accelerator pedal to the floor while cranking the engine seems to solve it on the rare occasions that it happens.

Even though the car is under warranty, they may not look at it for free...especially if they can't duplicate the condition. I'd hate to see you drop $100 just to have the service manager tell you they couldn't find anything wrong.
    Well i still have to have them check it for tht recall thingy so ill have them see if they see any problems. Also i cant risk it really cause i have a 7 month old and i dont wanna be out somewhere and get stranded idk

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Dodger86 the most common cause to the symptoms you describe is a flooded engine. In this condition there is basically too much unburned fuel in the combustion chamber and the motor won't run and won't start. This can be caused by starting the motor (say, to move it to a new parking spot in the driveway so someone else can get out) and turning it off after a very short period of operation. For cold temperatures, the engine ECU delivers a rich fuel mixture. If the engine is shut off while running very rich, it can lead to a flooded condition.

Another cause of a flooded engine is stepping on the gas pedal while trying to start the motor. This practice may have been necessary for motors with carburetors, but not with electronic fuel injection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger86 View Post
    Went out this morning gave it a little gas and it started up.
    This practice may be the cause of your problem. Don't do this - it's unnecessary.

There are a couple of ways to clear this condition. One is to wait some time and hope the excess fuel either leaks past the piston rings or otherwise dissipates, or as Top_Fuel advised hold the gas pedal to the floor while starting the motor to trigger a clear flood mode through the ECU. The procedure for this is described in section 5 pages 18 and 37 in the 2015 Mitsubishi Mirage Owner's manual.

While we would like to do everything we can to help out, it is difficult to know exactly what caused your problems and exactly what was done to resolve it. No one wants to see you stranded. However, as was already stated, bringing up the problem with your dealer may not result in you getting a solid answer as to what caused this.

Hopefully it doesn't happen again, but if it does you have a bit more information to better understand what's going on.

Let us know how things go with your dealer, and again hopefully this doesn't happen to you again.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-25-2017 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Added quote on Dodger86 for an example.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

codenamezero (11-27-2018),MetroMPG (12-26-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Havent tried to start today but tuesday im going to have it towed to my dealer and have them fix it. Is most stuff covered under warranty such as like starter or battery
    Just a heads up. Some things are not covered at all, headlight bulbs, wiper blades, and others I'm sure. Some are covered by Mitsu for a limited time or mileage, I'm sure the battery falls under that, and some are manufacturers warranty and not Mitsu covered like the tires.

ETA: Also, as mentioned, diagnostic charges are not covered usually unless a fault is found.

Since there are very few cases of failing to start that I could uncover it's safe to say it was a random event and we should consider ourselves lucky that Mitsu has acknowledged it and has a solution.

I would not worry about this at all, these little cars are proving themselves to be some of the most reliable cars on the market. In time they may have proven themselves as some of the most reliable small cars ever made. (Yes, that's a broad statement but there's very few complaints on the web for a 4 year old model car and the few that exist are not common. https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mitsubishi/Mirage/2015/ )
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 12-25-2017 at 12:57 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    tuesday imma call mitsu and drive it there and have them look at it cause now im afraid im going to be out somewhere n get stuck. First time ive had any problems with the car im annoyed
    Hey Dodger86 how's your Mirage working for you in this cold weather? I hope you haven't had any problems.

Let us know.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-06-2018 at 01:11 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Just a heads up. Some things are not covered at all, headlight bulbs, wiper blades, and others I'm sure. Some are covered by Mitsu for a limited time or mileage, I'm sure the battery falls under that, and some are manufacturers warranty and not Mitsu covered like the tires.

ETA: Also, as mentioned, diagnostic charges are not covered usually unless a fault is found.

Since there are very few cases of failing to start that I could uncover it's safe to say it was a random event and we should consider ourselves lucky that Mitsu has acknowledged it and has a solution.
    I coulda sworn I saw light bulbs covered under warranty for a short time. It probably wouldn't be worth most peoples time to miss work to get the dealer to change a light bulb though.

I've had probably 4 cars in the last month not start for me. Nobody else here(at work) has had a problem though. I blame it on letting go of the key before it's actually running. Once it's running it kills the starter itself. One car had a weak battery, it would crank but not fast enough to fire. Once flooded I let it sit for a week. Tried to boost it and it wouldn't start unless I Floored it.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Have you had any additional issues, or just what you've posted?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Flood mode cleared it. Jesus christ, i knew they were dumping fuel in cold mode, i could smell it and observe it in the average fuel consumption gauge...

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I had the same problem, my car would crank but won’t start. I have a 2015 , at first I thought it’s the battery, I removed it and took it to Auto Zone to check it and they told me it’s good. Then I thought may be it a spark plugs since it had over 120k on it, but when I was doing a search online I found this thread, I saw a note referring to the manual section 5, about issues with starting the engine, I followed the procedure there by pressing the clutch pedal to the end while pressing the gas pedal half way, and starting the ignition. I made several trials before I finally started, Thank You, this thread saved me lots of money!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nasr1978 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-30-2022),Fummins (12-30-2022),mohammad (12-30-2022)