Thread: Dash Wrap and the Panel Above the Glove Box

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Dash Wrap and the Panel Above the Glove Box

I ordered in some purple-bronze carbon fiber vinyl from DHGate.com here: https://www.dhgate.com/product/1-52x...250623013.html

I had to order a crap-load of it. 30 meters. I'll probably sell what I don't use on ebay when I'm done. It's color-shifting, so it looks almost orange (matches the Mitsubishi Sunrise Orange at a certain angle, and looks quite purple on other angles).

I wrapped the 3 panels of the dash so far and the panel above the glove box. That panel is held in with 8 screws. Sorry, no photos of the panel out.

If you remove the glove box, you may be able to see most of the screws. 2 on each end, 3 above, and 1 more on the bottom by the USB cord. Then the panel finagles out with a bit of wiggling and prying.

I plan on wrapping door parts, the center console, other things inside, things outside. Kind of bling it out a bit. So I don't know how much of this wrap I need, or when I'll be done with it.

Attached Images Attached Images    

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sunshinelock For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (12-24-2017),Alex1a1f (12-24-2017),Daox (12-24-2017),Eggman (12-24-2017),gone.a (12-24-2017),Marklovski (12-24-2017),Top_Fuel (12-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Looks good. I'll bet that pictures really don't quite capture it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Very nice!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Looks pretty cool, like it should've been an option originally.
    Install looks very clean.
    How hard is it to work with and keep things wrinkle free?
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Try either alibaba.com or aliexpress.com. Alibaba (worlds largest online marketplace) is usually business to business and typically has quite large minimum orders, but sometimes you can order smaller quantities. Aliexpress is alibaba's sister site, and is business to end user, so you could probably find vinyl wrap in meter increments.

Both are based in china and some vendors have quality issues but many are perfectly acceptable.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I couldn't find smaller amounts in that color anywhere else.

The flat piece above the glove was fine. The other 3 pieces on the dash all wrinkled up on the edges. I had to cut a seam to take the stress off some of the curves and redo it.

The 1st photo shows the dash before I cut out the wrinkled edge and redid it. The bottom photo is of that piece redone, the middle panel redone, and the top panel before redoing. That top panel is quite tough to not wrinkle. It's not pictured redone, and I'm thinking I might have to redo it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did this as well using aliexpress wrap. I gave up on wrapping the center console, not only is it very difficult to do, but the wrap kept coming off around the heater vents as you mentioned. My armrests held up very well. I was able to do the piece above the glovebox without removing it, but after a while the wrap loosened at the top of the piece where I tried to tuck it in. Nice job on your wrap, it looks better than mine did before I removed it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 42.7 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Sounds like a bit of work to get it right.
    Pays off with good looks though.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    It looks incredible. I'll be following and probably doing it this spring. Are you the same person who installed the do it all android radio/gps box? How's it holding up?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)