Thread: Complaints about the Mirage on carcomplaints.com. Founded or not

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Complaints about the Mirage on carcomplaints.com. Founded or not

I stumbled on this site as a result of a member here having starting problems.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Mitsubishi/Mirage/2015/

I read a lot of the complaints and some people are imbeciles. Like the person who had to sit a whole 25 minutes while the techs diagnosed her failed tranny. That must have been the single biggest inconvenience of her little snowflake life.

Then Mitsu has to gall to replace her transmission with a brand new one! The nerve of that company. Disrupting the precious little snowflake so Mits can give her a brand new $4,000 trans. to replace the one she beat to death. (beating to death is my speculation but if you read on.... ) she also needs new brakes because hers are squealing!!

From what I know of this scenario is she rode the brakes from mile 1 (brand new first car, probably a first time driver) overheating and wearing out the brake shoes AND pads in no time. She likely cooked the poor little CVT forcing it to pull against the brakes continuosly and sending the trans fluid temp into the red zone in no time.

We had an interesting thread recently about a failed trans. I suspect very much if the Mirage trans fluid was constantly operating way over temperature rating the lubricating properties are simply not there and parts that would normally never fail under regular use simply die from never anticipated stress.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 12-26-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: (added info to title)
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (12-25-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I'd estimate about 80% of the reviews on sites like that with complaints about the Mirage are written by idiots.

There was one guy complaining about the Mirage because it didn't hold up well enough to keep his parents alive when they got into a head-on collision with a semi truck.

I feel for him, but what subcompact WOULD take that kind of hit??

As to the failed CVT, I think we have seen a couple of those. But they seem like isolated incidents. If Mitsubishi is standing tall with the warranty, what's to gripe about??

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Interesting. I read through all the complaints (there's not that many.)

I see there are multiple posts by individuals - one disgruntled owner in PR stands out, among others. Some of the problems listed don't make sense. One complains about brakes failing, yet earlier in their complaint mentions the brakes were making noise but didn't get them serviced.

I suppose it's good to know what other's are experiencing, but some of the complaints really do come across as operator error.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unknown Or Other Problems

I have a Honda fit that is recalled.Honda set me up with enterprise to get a free rentall. The rental a Mitsubishi merage has a bad VIN #. I cannot get any info on it? also, the so called free rental enterprise wanted 50 dollars for whatever, witch I should have never done, max out that card. I need to find out about this car, and sue both parties VIN#ml32A3hjohhoo3355 thanks

- Mckinney, TX, USA

LOL

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I did some more googling and reading and some of these same idiots wouldn't give up and posted the same, or nearly the same nonsense at other sites. It's strange how the Mirage attracts two groups, one which I consider who are

a) the brighter people in the world who want some value for their money and are more than a little bit savvy about small cars,

that would be us, and

b) the intellectually damaged individuals who bought a Mirage @24.9% APR due to their horrible credit ratings because of bad decision making skills meaning it was the only new car remotely affordable for them, and most of these individuals are lucky to find the gas filler door each time they go to fill up.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    On the other hand,

There are a few individuals here on this forum who have experienced problems with their Mirage. One is currently in the process of correcting problems with his Mirage. He has been consistently denied by his dealership that a problem exists at all and has had to get Mitsubishi North America corporate involvement just to have any action taken, much less acknowledge that a problem exists.

No owner should have to resort to that. Thankfully, corporate stepped up. Otherwise, what is left but telling the world at large of what happened, and to stay away from a stinking pile?

I may be blinded by my appreciation and support of the Mirage. My affection may simply reflect my confirmation bias. I cannot deny that there are some which the Mirage is simply not the right car for them. I get that. Some drivers are better served by some other car out there in the marketplace.

That aside, if you notice a developing problem - say, with brakes - it would be prudent to have it checked (especially under warranty) rather than ignoring it and continuing to drive it. But who knows - I don't know all the details behind some of those complaints.

That website is designed to allow a platform for ranting and raving. However, it appears to be unmoderated and unchecked. Do they allow manufacturers or dealers a chance to respond? Google does.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (12-26-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Good points.

If I may add, there are some people out there that should not be drivers and no car could fix that.