Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To trade or not to trade my 14DE 5mt to an 18ES 5mt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Oh come now - what do you do when you get a flat?! I'm sure you don't call the junkyard.

I mean I see what you're saying, I suppose there's degrees to how debilitating a failure can be.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Oh come now - what do you do when you get a flat?! I'm sure you don't call the junkyard.

I mean I see what you're saying, I suppose there's degrees to how debilitating a failure can be.
    Of course not. But to gamble your ability to reliability get to your job, based on the "possibility" of saving $2000 a year is absolutely foolish. 1 minor breakdown can easily cost half of your 'profits' and your still stuck with a 4 year old car with 100,000 miles.. I mean... This is a very clear choice in my opinion.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I always thought if you planned on churning vehicles then leasing was the best option, just make sure the mileage you drive is covered. You have a predictable monthly bill, forever, and always have a vehicle under warranty.But you never "own" a car.

The joy of ownership is preached to us as reaching the last payment then hopefully enjoying a few more years of "free" motoring before you buy another new car. If your monthly was $200, each year you go without a repair means $2500 in your pocket. But if your car is going to depreciate $2500 in the additional year you keep it, then trading it in makes sense. You're going to eat the costs of ownership one way or another. There's so many variables it's nearly impossible to determine them all.

The Mirage has blurred these lines somewhat. People would churn cars every 2-3 years because they were, by and large, crappy, and major failures past the minimal warranty periods were common enough. With new cars becoming unaffordable without 6-7, even 8 year financing people were reluctant to buy unless the warranties reflected the financing terms. So now in my case, my Mirage has a warranty that exceeds my loan period by 6 years.

The OP might want to investigate 3rd party warranties if they want to stay in the same car but not worry about major mechanical failures? There must be some in America that are legit and pay out when a repair is needed.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm looking at my options. For the record, not to toot my horn but I am a competent mechanic in my own sense. I own 2 antique jeeps and have rebuild a 4L60E automatic because I had to learn back when I was a working mother of 2 on a single income. But the fact that I finance my vehicles 3 years (3.5 on this one), helps with the pay off quickly. Plus the wine red color is soooo adorable.
    An avg girl who has a long commute with her wine red 5 speed jellybean.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Well, 150K miles is not a problem for the 3a92 engine. Other than changing the manual transmission oil (which is a pretty simple diy). You shouldn’t have to put a clutch in before then. Other than oil changes, a set of spark plugs, brakes, air & cabin filters, a set of struts & shocks (I’d use a ‘17 set) 150k should not be any issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

seabass1858 (12-26-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not to mention,if I deploy then that's a year for the mirage to be dormant.
    An avg girl who has a long commute with her wine red 5 speed jellybean.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well, 150K miles is not a problem for the 3a92 engine. Other than changing the manual transmission oil (which is a pretty simple diy). You shouldn’t have to put a clutch in before then. Other than oil changes, a set of spark plugs, brakes, air & cabin filters, a set of struts & shocks (I’d use a ‘17 set) 150k should not be any issue.
    Based on this I'd say you wouldn't have any problems you couldn't handle. Are you a mech tech or something? I'd expect your Mirage to see 200k easily. Fummins has a Mirage that does what sounds like a similar route to you and it's racked up 200k miles with nothing major happening. It's a CVT also IIRC.

Not to mention you'd get personal help here I'm sure if you needed it. There's probably 5 people with good mech skills within an easy drive to you. Hell, I can work from anywhere and I was an Ontario sanctioned mechanic when I was much younger. I'd work just for the fun of it if i had room and board. (No, I won't dig out the crawlspace from under your bungalow to create a basement, )

I bet you could pay cash for a new Mirage in '21 if you banked your current payment and kept driving your '15.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seabass1858 View Post
    I own 2 antique jeeps and have rebuild a 4L60E automatic
    Based on this I don't think you have to worry much about being stranded.

Now about those Jeeps - what years? And pictures please.

Seems we have more than a few Jeep aficionados here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    manual trans oil ... a set of spark plugs, brakes, air & cabin filters, a set of struts & shocks 150k should not be any issue.
    Exactly. That's $600 right there.
    A 4yr 100k mirage is worth KBB $2,000 trade in
    A 6yr 150k mirage will be worth $500 trade in

So now, in 2 years, you have spent $600 and lost $1500 in value toward a new car.

So theres 1/2 of what you would have on a brand new car, and nothing's even broke.

Add in a dead coil pack @ tow (which isn't free anymore)
    And you've spent another $250. Luckily your ECM didn't go bad or your buying MUT software or dealer trip...

Using this math with $2000/year payment, you'll spend an additional $1650 over 24 months for a brand new car

So you guys really, TRULY feel its worth gambling a bigger breakdown, having to maintain everything yourself, having 0 roadside assistance, and having a 6 year old car with 150k vs a 2 year old car with 50k for the difference of an averaged $70/mo?

Might want to ask yourselves why you bought a mirage in the first place. "MPG @ warrantee"

You guys kill me. Life's too short too squeeze every penny from a dead horse. She's driving 25k a year not parking an 10k mile waxed creampuff in the garage.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    You guys kill me. Life's too short too squeeze every penny from a dead horse.
    But the horse isn't dead yet!

By this logic I guess you'll be trading in your 2015 soon.

Call me when you do I want those wheels.