Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: To trade or not to trade my 14DE 5mt to an 18ES 5mt

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts

No car payments = happiness!

If someone were to give me a choice of free 3-4 year old Mirage (with 80,000 miles) that was paid off or a new one for $10,000, I would take the free one. A car with 80,000 miles on it has a lot of life in it. When my Mirage reaches a value of $2000 in trade, I would save on insurance, too. I would just carry liability on it at that point. No payments, cheap insurance, and great gas mileage are a great combination in my opinion.

I did a test drive with a 2018 Mirage ES (manual). I bought a brand new 2017 Mirage ES (manual) with added Bluetooth & armrest for $9299. Out the door price with tax, title, license, and new plates was $10,153.70. I couldn’t justify spending the extra for the 2018 model at the time (October 2017). I didn’t give up too much by buying the 2017 model. I can live without a back up camera. Those things can be added, too. If I add anything, it would be cruise control.

I don’t think I would have gotten the deal that I got if a trade was involved. If you could sell your Mirage outright for more money, I would consider an upgrade. Otherwise, I would appreciate what you already have. You have a very nice car that is paid for, and one that will most likely serve you very well for years to come. In the meantime, save up your money. You can always change your mind later, too. Life is about choices. It’s hard to tell someone else what to do. I look forward to paying off my 2017 Mirage, and driving it for many years beyond that.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I didn’t give up too much by buying the 2017 model. I can live without a back up camera. Those things can be added, too. If I add anything, it would be cruise control.
    I took the same approach. I thinking adding cruise would be a fun project, I don't see it as work.

I look forward to paying off my 2017 Mirage, and driving it for many years beyond that.
    Exactly my thoughts. I plan on passing this car to my daughter as her first car. I'm sure if I maintain the body, keep it rustproofed, waxed, and washed, change the oil, perform regular maintenance that it will still be an excellent car in 7 years.

She'll still have 3 years of warranty and roadside service. That will bring me enormous piece of mind.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)