Thread: 2018 ES stereo dies, restarts, dies, flickers after driving for an hour or so.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

2018 ES stereo dies, restarts, dies, flickers after driving for an hour or so.

Is this a common issue with a quick fix or do I need to take it in?

I've done a bit of custom wiring already so hoping to avoid having to remove everything and revert to stock.

So, basically, only after being on the road for an hour, hour and a bit, the touchscreen and music die, then it reboots to the Mitsubishi Motors screen. It may flicker and do this 1 to 10 times before resuming music, and then may do it again within 2-5 minutes. Turning it off doesn't help, it'll still flicker and boot as if the car has just been started when it chooses to restart.

Anybody know where I can look? Although I'm assuming it just needs an entire new stereo/touchscreen.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I've done a bit of custom wiring already so hoping to avoid having to remove everything and revert to stock.
    I believe this answers your question. The dealer won't touch it if it's been modified.

I usually find the fault in the last place it was worked on, whether I did the work or someone else did.

Good luck.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-26-2017)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I believe this answers your question. The dealer won't touch it if it's been modified.

I usually find the fault in the last place it was worked on, whether I did the work or someone else did.

Good luck.
    No though, all I've done is add in some horns. Granted that is a bit of wiring, but that the only circuit that I've messed with. And horn function is fine and perfect regardless of what the radio is doing.

I'm just hoping to NOT have to revert to stock to return to the dealer, more hoping somebody knows of a loose connection or something that they also had an issue with.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Is this a common issue with a quick fix or do I need to take it in?

So, basically, only after being on the road for an hour, hour and a bit, the touchscreen and music die, then it reboots to the Mitsubishi Motors screen. It may flicker and do this 1 to 10 times before resuming music, and then may do it again within 2-5 minutes. Turning it off doesn't help, it'll still flicker and boot as if the car has just been started when it chooses to restart.

Anybody know where I can look? Although I'm assuming it just needs an entire new stereo/touchscreen.
    There has been a few isolated instances where the radio fuse (yellow square block) in the fuse block was not inserted all the way. Remove it and reinsert it firmly. If you have the F.A.S.T. System there will be a 2nd fuse in the yellow block. You’ll lose any presets on the stereo but that’s no big deal

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I recall an issue with wiring problems under the driver foot rest IIRC but that was in '14 models.

I wonder if that issue was completely resolved or maybe it's back?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey nickels how's your stereo?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Hey nickels how's your stereo?
    Just picked it up yesterday. Dealer is an hour away, been busy.
    Warranty SRS repair.
    Warranty head unit reflash
    Warranty head unit repair: Main fuse not fully inserted, interior body (radio circuit, USB/12V outlet) relay not properly grounded.
    And an oil change.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Main fuse not fully inserted
    Where is this fuse located? Is it at the main fuse panel?

interior body (radio circuit, USB/12V outlet) relay not properly grounded.
    Same here. Is this inside the radio or by the fuse panel?

Thanks for the update.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Where is this fuse located? Is it at the main fuse panel?

Same here. Is this inside the radio or by the fuse panel?

Thanks for the update.
    They are near each other. I didn’t get too much info.

Service Writer didn’t know what the tech did. Tech wasn’t sure what he did. I understand that they are right beside each other. All in the main block pretty sure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm glad to hear you got it all sorted!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)