Thread: Winter 2017/2018 (what gear are you carrying?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts

Winter 2017/2018 (what gear are you carrying?)

So, what gear is everyone carrying this year?

I've never used chains or studded snows. In fact I've only recently started using snow tires. They're alright I guess.

Does anyone carry other stuff like shovels, sand, tow rope, tools?

As an aside, I'm kinda missing rear wheel drive. It's been too long since I've done a donut. Speck is too stable in the snow for anything remotely exciting.

Edit: please forgive the hemispheric-centric topic.

Last edited by Eggman; 12-27-2017 at 10:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't carry much except a basic tool kit, jumper cables, water, blanket, quart of oil, gallon of coolant, and some energy bars year round. During the winter I add a few items because of the snow we get here. These items include 2 large bags of cat litter for rear weight and traction, a small shovel, and a tow strap.

I usually run snow tires in the winter. My Geo Metro has 2 sets of rims with summer and winter tires. My Mirage also has 2 sets of rims. The stock rims and stock Dunlop tires are on for winter. The stock tires are decent in the winter, but I will probably end up putting snow tires on them rims sooner or later. The summer wheels are larger and wider with performance tires and these run from April until December and have the TPMS sensors in them. In all my years of living in the snow belt I learned that tires made for snow or designated as snow tires have a softer rubber compound and provide all the traction you need in most winter driving conditions.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got snow tires all around. Tire gauge, window-washer fluid, window scraper and a jack. That's about it. My commute is pretty close to a few shops. Also, I'm still under warranty and can call the Mitsubishi Owners Roadside Assistance if there's anything major with the car. So far, it's been pretty nice to drive. Definitely doesn't slide around as much as my previous car, an 02' Nissan Maxima. That 'fat' car slid fairly easily because of it's weight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I'm not very well prepared this year. I have a scraper! Thats it. However, I do have a kit / bag in my Civic still with jumper cables and the usual safety / emergency stuff. I'll have to grab it and move it over to the Mirage.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    All I'm carrying right now is a scraper/brush combo. I might throw in some jumper cables but don't want to wreck my fuel economy any further.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Shovel, ice scrapper, first aid kit, tow clips or whatever they're called, gloves, tire pressure gauge, mini air compressor, jumper cables.

I'll probably add the bracketeer fire extinguisher holder this year.

Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire