Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I am currently thinking that I can put all the controls on the dashboard by the mirror adjustment. There are blanking plates that you can pop out
    Is that true for all American Mirages? AFAIK there are no blanking plates in my Space Star. I have a mirror adjustment, a head light adjustment and an ASG switch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-04-2018),LetItMarinate (04-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We don't have headlight adjust here

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

This also shows why putting a smaller engine in a car tends to increase fuel economy. A smaller engine will be under greater load vs a larger engine doing the same thing. Higher load means better fuel efficiency.
    I understand all that. It means that the Micra motor should get better mileage in a Versa. And it does. But the Versas I rented all got mileage comparable to our Mirages at 80-85mph. At this speed the Mirage engine is pushing 4k rpm while the Note is loafing at 2000rpm (IIRC). So in theory if Nissan pushed the Versa motor to a higher load it should produce even better mileage. But obviously it doesn't or they would have.

I am still amazed that both Versas I rented did 16k/L @125-130kmh. They were so quiet with the motors loafing I could whisper in the cabin and be heard. But I digress.

I'd like a kit where I just make the connections to my Outlander wheel, add my pedal switches and away I go.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-04-2018 at 01:40 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Will this eliminate the need for etacs programming? If so, I think you are on the right track. Until I see an easy, straight-forward demo of etacs programming, I don't think I want the frustration of messing with it.
    Unfortunately, I highly doubt it will. However, I do plan on making a step by step tutorial with pictures and possibly video if necessary to make it super clear and easy so anyone can do it.

Of course it would be great to have a plug-n-play solution without any wires to cut/solder...but that's probably asking too much.
    Not at all. It can certainly be done, but it will cost more.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (01-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Is that true for all American Mirages? AFAIK there are no blanking plates in my Space Star. I have a mirror adjustment, a head light adjustment and an ASG switch.
    My Mirage is a 2014 DE. There are 3 plate openings to use. Mine has the traction control button in one, and the bluetooth in the other. It has one blank plate available to be used.

Here is a picture I snapped after pulling out the blank.

Name:  IMG_20171229_121501430.jpg
Views: 1274
Size:  90.8 KB

Alternatively, I've considered putting the cruise switches in the blanked out push button start circle. It might actually be easier to reach / see while driving too. I do think it will be a bit harder to get to for installation purposes though.

Thanks for the ideas guys!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'd like a kit where I just make the connections to my Outlander wheel, add my pedal switches and away I go.
    My kit will basically be replacing the wheel. The rest of the stuff will still be needed. If you want to go the new wheel route, I intend to make very good instructions for you guys to follow so more people can more easily do this mod.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, we have the rough idea of the project down I think. Lets get a bit more into the nitty gritty.

The part of the cruise system that I am recreating is actually really simple. Its four switches, four resistors, and only two wires (3 & 4 on the diagram) to hook up. This is great news, because with only two wires, installation will be very easy. If we take a look in the service manual, they lay this all out for us. The other two wires (5 & 6)that are part of the diagram are only for illumination. For the time being, we'll just ignore them.

Name:  CruiseResistors.jpg
Views: 1325
Size:  78.8 KB

By pressing the different buttons, the output wire sends a different voltage to the ECU. The ECU reads the voltage and knows what button is pressed. This is also specified in the service manual.

Name:  CruiseSwitchVoltages.jpg
Views: 1261
Size:  73.1 KB

So, what needs to be recreated is simply some switches, resistors, and two wires as I mentioned earlier. Ideally, its neatly and nicely packaged in some easy to use form. This will replace the fancy ES steering wheel with its buttons on it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Looks good to me!

If the Rostra aftermarket unit doesn't doesn't require etacs programming, I assume your design wouldn't, either...right?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Rostra cruise kit has its own computer that you must wire in.

The kit I'm developing will use the OEM ECU's cruise control logic. I am quite certain that it will require etacs reprogramming. I plan on doing a complete and through write up on exactly what is necessary to do to enable cruise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    The Rostra cruise kit has its own computer that you must wire in...
    Ahhh...I didn't realize that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)