Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Developing a cruise control kit - now for sale!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    For those interested, this is the difference between the two brake switches. The new one has the blue end. There are 2 additional contacts in the new switch we will be installing.
    Did you look at the difference in timing of the two switches? I presume the 'old switch' was for the brake lights. Does the new switch switch earlier or later?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Did you look at the difference in timing of the two switches? I presume the 'old switch' was for the brake lights. Does the new switch switch earlier or later?
    The new switch switches at the same time as the old. It simply is a DPST (double pole, single throw) type switch instead of a SPST (single pole, single throw). This means it activates two separate circuits or 'poles' with one push or 'throw'.

More info for those interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch...ct_terminology

Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    Wow! Amazingly simple and great work.
    Thanks. I try to make it as straight forward and simple as I can.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright, lets program that ETACS computer, right? The ETACS (Electronic Time & Alarm Control System) ECU controls a lot of the accessories on the Mirage. Its actually a separate ECU from the engine ECU. It is necessary to enable the cruise control in the ETACS ECU so that everything that we have installed works.

First, lets get the stuff together that we need:

Laptop
    I used a not very nice 1ghz laptop running windows 8. Besides being incredibly slow, it worked just fine. It recognized the mini VCI cable when it was plugged in and installed drivers for it automatically. Some have had issues with windows and drivers, others say its no problem. I didn't have a problem on my windows 7 desktop or windows 8 laptop.

Mini VCI cable
    I got mine off amazon. This is the one I got. Inevitably it will become unavailable at some point. I don't think that they are any different from one to the other. Search for 'mini vci cable' and you'll find one. The cable cost me about $20.

X-horse drivers
    This is where I spent a bunch of time twiddling my thumbs. I read about it, but didn't realize I was missing these drivers. These are drivers for the etacs decoder program, not the mini vci cable and windows. They may come on a CD with your cable, or you can download them here as I did since my laptop didn't have a cd-rom.

ETACS Decoder
    This is free software developed by some awesome Russian guy. You can download the software here.

Got all that collected and installed on your laptop? Great, plug in the mini VCI cable into the car. Then, plug the mini VCI cable into the laptop. I didn't always follow these exact steps in this order, but it is the recommended process according to the ETACS Decoder manual. Make sure you have an internet connection as you need this for the software to work.

Now, open your device manager in windows. Expand the Ports (COM & LPT) section. You will find a USB Serial Port listed there. It also will say (COM X). The X being the number of the COM port that we need to set in the ETACS Decoder software. Remember this number.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 9428
Size:  81.7 KB

Now, fire up the ETACS Decoder software. First things first, its going to ask you to login. I didn't get pictures, but you will click register. It then pops up a 'go read the forum FAQs' message. Click OK after the timer expires, then use the username and password text boxes to create a new user for yourself and click OK. It will then log you in to something similar to the screen below.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 9311
Size:  79.4 KB

Click on the Options tab on top. You will see the screen below except it will be missing a bunch of settings.

- You will need to set the ELM COM-port settings to the port number you found in the device manager.
    - You will need to set the CAN settings to XHorse - MVCI for Etacs Decoder. If you don't have this option, you haven't installed the XHorse drivers that I mentioned at the beginning of this post.
    - You can leave the Connect first setting on Auto, or change it to J2534.
    - You will need to check the Engine checkbox.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 9487
Size:  90.6 KB

Congrats, you have already done all of the hard work and are now ready to connect to the car's computer! Click on the OFF / On slider button in the upper left corner of the window. If you click on the LOG tab, you will see the program checking drivers and connecting to the ECU. If you have any problems with this process the LOG tab is your friend and will help you troubleshoot.

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 9276
Size:  92.4 KB

Click on the Engine tab on top. You'll see a list of settings. Scroll to the very bottom and you will see two settings:
    CRUISE CONTROL - set this to present in the New Value column.
    CRUISE CONTROL OPTION - set this to ACCEPT in the New Value column.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 9506
Size:  91.8 KB

Now, click on the WRITE to ECU button on the upper left side. It will write to the ECU. Then you will get a message box telling you to key the car off and back on. Follow the instructions. Once the car is powered back up, you are done! The red text will now be white. Your cruise control is now fully enabled!

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 9305
Size:  93.2 KB

As you can see, the whole process isn't that long or hard, but swimming through all the different possible settings and troubleshooting can take a while.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-01-2018),Eggman (01-31-2018),Fummins (02-06-2018),Jcpr (02-01-2018),LetItMarinate (04-03-2018),MetroMPG (01-31-2018),poorman1 (01-31-2018),Top_Fuel (01-31-2018)

^ This is the step of the installation that will give old-school tinkerers pause.

But step-by-step hand-holding like you laid out helps a lot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-31-2018),LetItMarinate (04-03-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    But step-by-step hand-holding like you laid out helps a lot.
    Exactly. Up until this point, I haven't seen an easy-to-follow ETACS tutorial. I can actually follow this one without my eyes rolling up into my skull...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm glad it helps clear things up.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, how does it work? How do I like it?

Well, I actually got everything installed and programmed this past weekend. So, I have been using it for about half a week now and it really works great. It works just as good as the OEM setup I'm sure. The dash light indicates the cruise is on just like it should. The set, resume, on and off buttons work exactly how you would expect them to. The only difference from the OEM setup is that the switches are on the dash instead of on the steering wheel. Operationally its perfectly fine.

However, there is one thing that I'm not particularly fond of, and that is the switch location. The main issue is, when driving straight, you can't see the buttons. This is what you see. Where are the switches? You can reach for them and feel them and they're close enough together that you can figure it out easily enough. But, is there a better spot?

Name:  IMG_20180130_071651621.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  93.6 KB

I think there is a better spot. Since we're only installing this cruise kit on DE trim Mirages, we all have a blanking plate over the start button on the dash (I have my bezel pulled in the pic to measure the plate and create a new switch plate). This is much more clearly visible while driving than the other location. So, I am planning on changing the design to fit into the start button position instead.

Name:  cruisestart.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  93.7 KB

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-01-2018),MetroMPG (02-01-2018)

Yup, that location makes more sense.

Must have been very cool when you switched it on and it worked... even though you knew it was going to!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Must have been very cool when you switched it on and it worked... even though you knew it was going to!
    That actually brings up a funny story. I had installed the cruise kit, and had been struggling with the programming on Friday night. I had spent a good 3+ hours trying to get everything working. I finally got it all taken care of and wrote successfully to the ECU and enabled the cruise! Success!!! So, I decided to go for a drive to try it out. I get on the road, push the on button. The dash lights up showing cruise is now on, yay. I hit the set button, let off the gas aaaaand.... slow down. Grrrr, okay. Try again. Get back up to speed, hit the set button, let off the gas aaaaaand... slow down... Then it hits me, I had not yet installed the pedal switches. I totally forgot about them. I was both a bit upset and relieved at the same time.

However, once I got the pedal switches installed, it did work perfectly right off the bat. It was great to see it working and I have been enjoying it since!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (02-01-2018),bzacon (03-01-2018),Jcpr (02-01-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've been working on the new switch panel. It looks pretty good I think. Its a very similar concept to the rectangular blanking plate version, but circular. The circular blanking plate is thankfully a bit larger too. This will make assembly a bit easier. It also allowed me to fit more text on the plate which is a nice plus too.

Name:  circcruise01.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  55.1 KB

Name:  circcruise02.jpg
Views: 1289
Size:  75.1 KB

Name:  circcruise03.jpg
Views: 1301
Size:  77.8 KB

I will have the parts printed up for it tonight. However, I need to order a new batch of switches and resistors because I am not going to disassemble the old version. Its perfectly workable, and if anyone is interested in it for a bargain price I am willing to part with it. Post here or PM me about it. In any case, I will be waiting on the new parts to arrive before I can get the new version assembled and put in the car.

In the mean time, I am thinking about putting together kits to sell. The kit will contain just the switch plate assembly and some zip ties. You will have to get yourself the mini VCI cable, and figure out if you need just the brake switch (CVT), or the clutch switch too (5 speed manual). I don't see a reason for me to purchase these items just to repack them and send them to you. It will just increase your cost. I will be writing up a full dedicated DIY like I did for the glove box mod that will step you through the entire process of installing everything.

So, is there anyone interested in picking up one of these kits?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-02-2018)