Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Subcompact Culture's response to the Doug DeMuro Video

Name:  20171122_142215.jpg
Views: 939
Size:  100.4 KB

After having several people forward me the DeMuro review of the Mirage, I figured I'd write my two cents on Subcompact Culture. Have a look.

http://www.subcompactculture.com/201...itsubishi.html

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-04-2018),2of9 (01-16-2018),Cobrajet (01-11-2018),daleWV (04-13-2018),Daox (01-04-2018),emdeplam (01-04-2018),inuvik (01-04-2018),Marklovski (01-04-2018),MetroMPG (01-04-2018),Siper2 (01-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    This made me LOL.

He makes more noise about the car's shortcomings than the the Mirage's CVT at full throttle.

Excellent points made. A lot of people like the things Doug complains about, myself included.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Nice!

You were right to call him on the fact that he reviewed a pre-2017 Mirage, which Mitsubishi improved significantly (suspension, steering, NVH, brakes - eg. New 2017 Mirage SE vs 2015 Mirage ES (comparison of differences/improvements)

Also, you mention that the Versa sells like hotcakes, but have you seen the proportion of fleet sales for that model?? 35%!

It's sometimes hard to make a case for the Mirage because it's a car that most people buy with their heads and not with their hearts.

But that was a good read!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Subcompact Culture (01-04-2018)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Great post, and I like your sense of humor. Even though I like snakes..........except when one catches me by surprise when I'm mowing the grass. Last time it was a six foot black rat snake, but they're harmless.

I'm considering a '17/'18 Mirage and have been perusing everything I can find on it. The only thing that has me a bit concerned is the IIHS "Marginal" rating of the Front Small Overlap crash test, but otherwise I think it'd be something to seriously consider. There's a dealer about 50 min. south of my house with four or five ES 5MT hatchbacks, the exact model I'd want. All listed on the website for ~$10K and that's before negotiation and Mitsu's current $500 rebate through late January.

The crash test thing is a definite point to ponder, as I have a 48-minute commute which is 1/2+ highway. I'm a Subaru nut, having owned six (our most recent is a '15 Outback 3.6R we bought under two months ago), but the high fuel mileage of something like this is appealing.

So.... we'll see.

The thing to consider is: the Mirage was already designed and in production before the small overlap test was introduced.

A few automakers in a similar position engineered and added reinforcements to their existing models to improve on the small overlap result. Others decided to wait for the next generation. As a low-margin, low volume economy car, it was no surprise what Mitsu chose to do.

So the 7th gen Mirage due in a year or 2 will probably do better on all tests, but it will be a bit heavier. And the mileage will probably be a bit lower (all else being equal). And the same will probably be true of the 8th gen Mirage, ad infinitum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yep, it's a pretty new test. I drive a 2001 Outback 3.0 with 248K miles, and I'm not sure it'd pass that test if it was subjected to it. Perhaps it would, there's really no way to tell. That being said, it's still an extremely safe car. Anything made much more recently still has a bazillion more airbags though, plus mandatory backup cameras as of 2018.

So it's not a deal-breaker, but certainly noteworthy.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    There is a website somewhere that allows you to view the actual breakdown of an IIHS crash test. You can see what portions of the dummy were subjected to what forces. This allows you to interpret just what kind of injury that "Poor" score might make you more susceptible to in a crash.

Because of the Mirage's "Poor" score on the Small Offset crash, your chances of a lower leg injury are somewhat higher than average. That's it.

Many people think that any car which gets rated "Poor" on anything must be some kind of death trap. It isn't true, and I'd wager that cars getting a "Poor" score today are likely safer than cars which got a "Good" score even as late as 10 years ago.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-11-2018),Eggman (01-11-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Indeed, one particular rating does not dictate the whole. The rest of its ratings were Good on IIHS as I recall, and 4/5 on NHTSA.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just watched this guy's video. What a whingy little brat. And he doesn't have any idea the things he is wittering on about. He said there wasn't a USB port to plug your music into, because apparently opening the glovebox is too hard. He's whining about exposed fasteners. And of course, he's passing a two year old car off as new, completely ignoring the much improved 2017 model.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    I just watched this guy's video. What a whingy little brat. And he doesn't have any idea the things he is wittering on about. He said there wasn't a USB port to plug your music into, because apparently opening the glovebox is too hard. He's whining about exposed fasteners. And of course, he's passing a two year old car off as new, completely ignoring the much improved 2017 model.
    Surprisingly, about half the commenters on that video are telling DeMuro he is full of sh!t. At least one person on this forum said they bought a Mirage because of that 'review'.