Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Happy 2018! What are your Mirage-related plans/goals/resolutions this year?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    Why the PTC delete and power steering delete? Is it needed in order to be able to remove the alternator?
    The PTC heater is really nice in the cold. However, it turns on WAY too easily IMO. It'll be running in spring and fall when its really not necessary IMO.

Conditions for PTC heater to turn on:
    -Engine running
    -Blower fan on
    -Temperature setting: any except MAX cool
    -Outside temp 59 degree F or lower (ambient temp sensor is at top of lower grill opening on driver side)
    -Engine coolant temp 167 degree F or lower
    -Generator output 70% or less
    We haven't figured out how much power the PTC heater pulls yet, but it probably a pretty big energy hog if its going to be effective at all. Disabling it should improve fuel economy. Its not hard at all to cool the engine down to 167F by blasting the heat in winter. I don't want it running that much. But, I definitely want the option of turning it on.

As for the power steering mod, its going to be a controller, not a delete mod. The controller will allow you to dial in exactly how much assist you want from the power steering. You can set it to stock, or you can basically turn it off, or anything in between.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I wonder how this will affect the electric power steering controller, and if this will have any affect on the CANbus network.
    The mod won't have any negative effect on either of them. It'll intercept and alter the torque sensor output and send the new signal to the power steering ECU. It is a bit tricky, there are several checks the ECU does to make sure there aren't any issues with the electric power steering system.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For '18 I have new wheels/tires to put on (when the weather gets better), OE sill extensions to install (again, when the weather gets better), and want to get some lowering springs.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I could tell on my '14 when the PTC would engage. Momentary drop in RPM, slight flicker of the lights, then within seconds heat from the vents. On my '17 I have doubts there is a PTC in my car, much less one that works. Nowhere near as hot or short time to heat.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)