Thanks

Bad mix of components for ODB

I had this

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this

and finally this

https://www.amazon.ca/ScanGaugeE-Mul...ords=scanguage

connected late last night and went for a spin to test them out. Everything seemed OK. This morning after an hour drive, everything was OK. Then I made a stop, got going again and within 5 minutes the following dash lights illuminated, ABS, Traction Control Disabled, Traction Control Active.

I pulled over and shut down, waited a moment and started up and all was well for a few minutes. The same icons lit up. I was a bit worried something had gone wrong with my car but a lifetime of diagnosing stuff led to pull over one more time, remove all but the scanguage from my ODB port and started up again.

Everything was fine, nothing lit up and I went about my day.

I'm slightly surprised that one of these devices caused something on the bus to light up the icons.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I've heard of problems caused by those cheap OBD-II bluetooth adapters than I can count. I don't have those problems with my OBDLink LX bluetooth adapter - although I'm pretty sure I would if I tried using it concurrently with a ScanGaugeE.

Mind sharing why you want to use both a bluetooth adapter and the ScanGaugeE? Also, what does the ScanGaugeE do that the Torque app doesn't?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I like the appearance of the Scangauge. It matches the Mirage display to a T. Once it's configured it seems pretty easy to operate as needed. It is a bear to make changes on the fly. I've not memorized it enough to feel comfortable. I'm finding in the cold weather I'm really getting annoyed at the cable. It's stiff and I still don't have a permanent location for the Scangauge in mind so the cable is in my way most of the time.

The bluetooth ODB gadget was for a lark. I wanted to see if Torque and the scangauge returned the same data. They more or less do. I don't like the idea of a bluetooth connection being open into my ECU so that's why I ordered cables with a switch to turn it off.

I like the torque app a lot. I already run an Android phone as both a GPS and with Daily Roads (as my dashcam) so adding torque was a no brainer.

I'm not sure what my final configuration will look like.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I had this

and this

and finally this

connected late last night and went for a spin to test them out. Everything seemed OK. This morning after an hour drive, everything was OK. Then I made a stop, got going again and within 5 minutes the following dash lights illuminated, ABS, Traction Control Disabled, Traction Control Active.

I pulled over and shut down, waited a moment and started up and all was well for a few minutes. The same icons lit up. I was a bit worried something had gone wrong with my car but a lifetime of diagnosing stuff led to pull over one more time, remove all but the scanguage from my ODB port and started up again.

I'm slightly surprised that one of these devices caused something on the bus to light up the icons.
    We used gps' that plugged into the obd port. Nearly every car car would throw random codes and sometimes put the car in limp mode. I ended up having to put in hardwire defvices in the Mirage's. This is the only vehicle we've had problems with, I tried the same plug in gps in at least 20 different vehicles and the Mirage is the only one that had problems.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very odd, I have no issues with my Scangauge.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I like the appearance of the Scangauge
    ...I'm finding in the cold weather I'm really getting annoyed at the cable.
    ...I still don't have a permanent location for the Scangauge in mind so the cable is in my way most of the time.
    I have my Scangauge mounted in my dash (see photos in this post). The cable is completely hidden and the unit is in my direct line of sight. I have a "how-to" ready to post...I just have to get a couple of more photos ready. It's actually a fairly easy modification and is not as extreme as it looks. Details coming soon in a how-to...

I listen to a local radio show where an automotive shop owner takes calls about automotive repairs. He said he's seen a number of strange issues caused by devices plugged into the OBDII port. I've been using a Scangauge for 20+ years (I even used a Scangauge I in the late '90s) and have never had an issue with them.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

A-Aron (01-05-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I have my Scangauge mounted in my dash (see photos in this post). The cable is completely hidden and the unit is in my direct line of sight. I have a "how-to" ready to post...I just have to get a couple of more photos ready. It's actually a fairly easy modification and is not as extreme as it looks. Details coming soon in a how-to...
    The speedo bezel is nice and cheap in the US. I need to price it here in Canada. Probably cost 3x or more. If it is cheap then no big deal cutting the bezel and mounting the gauge.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So I connected up the same devices again, this time having cleaned the contacts I could get at with cleaner and so far, 300kms, there has been no issue. I did swap the "y" ends around, using the end that was for the scangauge for the BT adapter instead. So who knows? Both devices report more or less the same info.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I had this

and this

and finally this

I had planned to use 2 OBD devices at the same time so I installed a Y-connector this December ...

but no ... it does not work out that way - one device at a time only.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Top fuel please post your write up on the scan gauge install as I am very interested in it. I just got mine a little bit ago and have not found it a good home yet. That looks like a nice solution