Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heater core and oil consumption question

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-space View Post
    Thank you! Everybody I've spoken to is shocked they consider burning 4L acceptable as it is
    IMHO any warranty that allows 4+ litres of oil burned between oil changes is a fraudulent warranty.
    I have driven some vile crap in my life time and have never owned or driven anything that burned that much oil.
    I'm not sure exactly how the emissions guidelines can be met in a car that burns a gallon of oil every 4 months.
    Essentially, with Mitsu warranty you can fail emissions testing due to burning oil but Mitsu can flip you the bird.

Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    IMHO any warranty that allows 4+ litres of oil burned between oil changes is a fraudulent warranty.
    I have driven some vile crap in my life time and have never owned or driven anything that burned that much oil.
    I'm not sure exactly how the emissions guidelines can be met in a car that burns a gallon of oil every 4 months.
    Essentially, with Mitsu warranty you can fail emissions testing due to burning oil but Mitsu can flip you the bird.
    Actually, you might have mentioned the reason Mitsu might haveto fix the engine. It states in the manual the emissions warranty for some things is like, 7 years and unlimited miles or something. Here's the problem. Many emission testing stations no longer attach a hose to the tailpipe and measure things. Guess what they do?

Hook a code reader to the ODB port and if there are no error codes from any emissions components, the car gets a pass.

Yet, it can be smoking like the BBQ at the biggest Texas ribfest as it drives down the road.

The OP needs to find an emission station that actually uses the tailpipe. There's no way his car will pass, especially under a decellerate condition, I wouldn't be surprised if it produces visible smoke.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

IchabodCrane (01-09-2018),mohammad (10-11-2021)