Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY! Inexpensive Ramp

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    in addition, I was thinking to put a rubber matt at the bottom of the ramp just to avoid it from slipping.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsumi View Post
    in addition, I was thinking to put a rubber matt at the bottom of the ramp just to avoid it from slipping.
    That's exactly what I did. Sorta. I used tool box drawer liner and stapled it to the bottom.
    (blank signature)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex1a1f For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (01-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I've used home-made ramps, Rhino Ramps, etc. They were all somewhat disappointing solutions. They slide on the garage floor, driving up on them can be challenging (especially in a manual transmission), and there's always the concern about driving over the edge.

The primary reason I need to get my Mirage in the air is for oil changes. For a "normal" height car like the Mirage, I find that if I just roll the front tires up on a 2x6 scrap of wood, that extra little bit gives me enough room to slide underneath the front of the car to access the drain plug.

The best all-around ramps out there are RaceRamps. But you guys may cringe because even the cheapest ones are $200+.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Daox (01-15-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've had my ramps for 5 years and not a single complaint about them besides their weight. Being LVLs, they're heavy.
    (blank signature)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    The primary reason I need to get my Mirage in the air is for oil changes. For a "normal" height car like the Mirage, I find that if I just roll the front tires up on a 2x6 scrap of wood, that extra little bit gives me enough room to slide underneath the front of the car to access the drain plug.

The best all-around ramps out there are RaceRamps. But you guys may cringe because even the cheapest ones are $200+.
    Initially, I want the RR-40 but now considering the RR-30 being cheaper. I prefer the Race Ramp over the seemingly cheaper wood ramps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I have a set of steel ramps. I got them at some garage sale for cheap. I also use a 2x4 or 2x6 or some scrap I have laying around so it doesn't scrape.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Here are some extreme wooden ramps. I remember seeing these 15+ years ago on a Mustang forum...

Attachment 10811

Attachment 10812

Source Link
    This looks pretty good, especially when working on multiple vehicles. My uncle and I will be working on a couple of projects when I return back to GA. We are debating on making a ramp made of steel or concrete. He recently retired so he wants the ramp to be tough and permanent. He already ordered some stuff from Autoanthing and 4WheelOnline for the ATV so a wooden ramp like that could be just fine for the atv and Mirage.

Here are some extreme wooden ramps. I remember seeing these 15+ years ago on a Mustang forum...

Attachment 10811

Attachment 10812

Source Link
    I keep picturing the car driving up those ramps too fast, hitting the brakes at the top and everything come crashing forward like dominos. Then once he gets the car off the pile of lumber he does a burnout and losses control hitting parked cars because Mustang.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    lol Fummins... I can see that too.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)