Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: And suddenly I need a new engine!?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I use Walmart also. But I buy the oil and filter before hand. That way I know they don't overfill because I only provide them with 3 quarts.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-25-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Back from vacation. Will call dealer on Monday as there is no update from them (engine has not arrived I presume)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by palebeachbum View Post
    My engine has made a horrible clattering noise on cold startup for quite some time now. I had the ECU reflash done once I got the letter in the mail to do so. It made NO difference. Still clatters at startup when engine is cold. Doesnt matter if its 30F or 90F out. Only matters on the engine temp. If its been driven in the past hour, no clatter at startup. I'm kinda hoping the engine fails before the 100k mile warranty expires so i can get a new engine.
    Sounds very similar to my issue

Whoo whoo I get a new engine too at 50,000kms!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-24-2021),Mark (02-24-2021),MetroMPG (02-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cwatkin View Post
    That is strange. I would definitely get a new clutch as they have to remove it anyway so labor should be free. You just pay for the part.

You may notice that the new engine seems less powerful than the old one was in good working order. It is breaking in. Mine progressively got better fuel economy and more peppy with miles. I could see it using oil on the stick before the first oil change but never had it get below the add mark so just changed it at 3000 miles and never saw it use any oil after that.

Be sure to vary the RPM and engine loads for the first few thousand miles as you drive to break this new engine in right. I doubt this had anything to do with the first engine dying but it is kinda nice to get a new engine at this point in time.

Conor
    UGH! the dealer I bought my car from delivered it from Clarksville, TN to my home outside St.Louis, MO. The driver told me he never took it out of 5th gear once he hit the highway.
    Last edited by Christopher_B; 02-24-2021 at 09:06 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Same issue with yours??

If it makes you feel any better it's probably been autocrossed at the shipping ports and rail yards and there's a good chance you're probably the 9th or 23rd person to fart in the seat of your new car since it left the factory in Thailand.

Proper break in procedure wasn't the cause of my engine knocking. Although it did have the run rich flood out recall done a few years ago by the same dealer that's now replacing the engine.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fummins View Post
    whoo whoo i get a new engine too at 50,000kms!
    #winning!!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher_B View Post
    UGH! the dealer I bought my car from delivered it from Clarksville, TN to my home outside St.Louis, MO. The driver told me he never took it out of 5th gear once he hit the highway.
    Don't sweat it - you'll be fine. Keep reading to find out more about what is causing the failures that get a 3A92 engine replaced. It's usually due to cylinder/piston scoring which was attributed to a rich fuel condition. There's a TSB on it somewhere around here.

Found it: TSB: Rich Air/Fuel Ratio at Cold Ambient Temperatures
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-24-2021 at 09:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-24-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That's good news. Can you share some details? Like how the conversation went with the dealer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Christopher_B (02-24-2021)