Okay so this all started during our cold weeks we had here up in Quebec Canada.

At start up there was an annoying ticking sound that would eventually leave once operating temp was reach, didn't think much of it since, hell is -25C (-13F for our southern neighbors ). As my dear Mirage is mostly my wife's daily driver, I only drive it mostly week ends other then that I drive around in my gm pickup so i didn't think much about as well my truck makes all sorts of odd noises yet nothing is broken.. (it's a GM lol...)

During the Christmas week, the slight ticking became a loud slapping clacking noise constant regardless of temperature and would be accentuated at around 2-3K rpm.
Car went to the dealership for an initial check Jan 5th. (earliest date available)
At that moment we were told that it was most likely due the a previous recall, ECU remap, that has already been done a while back about 3-4 months if i recall properly.
Something along the lines of too rich when cold ecu would compensate by leaning out the fuel mix so on and so on and well it cooked the poor 3 Cyl engine to death and what we would hear was the piston(s) becoming maraccas.

We were told to bring it back the following Monday to have some data taken and deeper analysis done on it.

Today 9th the dealer gives me a call back and says " Yeah you need a new engine..." so i question him on the why and how. " Premature failure of internal engine component(s), we do not open it up we just replace it"

Sadly, I could not get more info out the mechanic. So conclusion 80500 KM in it will be receiving a new engine (under warranty) I have to wait about 1 1/2 weeks for it to arrive if the have it in stock from Toronto Ontario.

So yeah... If I do stumble upon more info on it I will share it with the community.

Couple of answers for any upcoming questions:

No check engine.
No power loss.
No real fuel economy impact.
No strange vibrations.
Properly maintained

Nothing to really say the engine was failing other then the noise

Any one with similar issues?!

Ralph