Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of the toughest vehicles ever made.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

One of the toughest vehicles ever made.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/158755.../shares/76535m

And I found it about 45mi from home!

This is my second 82 Toyota Pickup. I sold my first one 10 years ago and regreted it.

These things are built like little tanks.
    Fully boxed frame, front and rear solid axle, leaf springs front and rear, gear driven transfer case, dual row timing chain with metal guides etc etc.
    The Achilles heel was rust. This one was stored 20 years up until last year.
    This one is the high end of the time, Sr5.

Edit. Not sure why it's a link and not the pic. I just started Flickr and already don't like it

Last edited by Pryme; 01-12-2018 at 02:24 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very nice! Looks like new..

3. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/158755.../shares/76535m

And I found it about 45mi from home!

This is my second 82 Toyota Pickup. I sold my first one 10 years ago and regreted it.

These things are built like little tanks.
    Fully boxed frame, front and rear solid axle, leaf springs front and rear, gear driven transfer case, dual row timing chain with metal guides etc etc.
    The Achilles heel was rust. This one was stored 20 years up until last year.
    This one is the high end of the time, Sr5.
    Nice! It's always nice to find a car (or truck) that you are very familiar with and know it's reliability.

Edit. Not sure why it's a link and not the pic. I just started Flickr and already don't like it
    The forum software by vBulletin is particular about how it presents photos and videos, and I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't always work the way you'd expect.

Pictures that are rotated 90° are often caused by the camera that took the photo - usually a smartphone camera - due to how it stores information about the camera orientation at the time of image capture.

Also some image hosting services don't want to host images that will be shown on other websites and will block such use. Instead they restrict image viewing to their own website. As this often leaves our forum threads without the pictures, it is always best to upload the pictures here on the forum to ensure it will be viewable.

The most reliable way I have found to post pictures and photos here on this forum has been to upload the image to one of my photo albums, then use a link to that photo in my post. I've had too many problems posting pictures to threads, and they don't show properly anyway.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-12-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Beautiful truck! Toyota intended for these to be "like a little Land Cruiser", and they are.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Pryme (01-12-2018)

Nice find! In high school I had a friend that had one. You couldn't kill it. I've also had a few fold in half when I'd pick them up from the front with a loader. The frame bent right behind the cab. I've seen just as many 89+ chevy's do the same thing.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Nice find! In high school I had a friend that had one. You couldn't kill it. I've also had a few fold in half when I'd pick them up from the front with a loader. The frame bent right behind the cab. I've seen just as many 89+ chevy's do the same thing.
    Yeah that's one area I checked for rust. It's pretty solid except floor pans. I will need new floor pans eventually. Rockers are very solid as well as frame and bed overall. Someone added wheel well plastics and it shows in how it keeps road spray down

Nice truck - congrats.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Wow...a very nice find! That was my last truck before the Tacoma and if it wasn't for the rust I would
    still be driving it today probably. I used to say (like fummins said) that I couldn't kill it.
    Last edited by strawboss; 01-14-2018 at 09:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah that's one area I checked for rust. It's pretty solid except floor pans. I will need new floor pans eventually. Rockers are very solid as well as frame and bed overall. Someone added wheel well plastics and it shows in how it keeps road spray down
    Another famous weak point for rust was the seam running along the outside box panel.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by strawboss View Post
    Another famous weak point for rust was the seam running along the outside box panel.
    Yes absolutely it is. The boxes are two pc and were put on the trucks when they arrived in port to lessen the tariff tax coming in from Japan.