Thread: Hitch mounted carrier, 2" tube, only 1 1/4" on recieiver

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Hitch mounted carrier, 2" tube, only 1 1/4" on recieiver

Sigh.

I bought this for $50, it's a name brand, Erickson, really made and only 15 lbs.

The problem is the square pipe that goes into the hitch is 2".

The receiver of my curtis hitch is only designed for 1 1/4" stuff.

I can buy a 2"->1 1/4" adapter but, 1) it's heavy, solid steel and like 10 lbs, and 2) it will move the luggage rack a good 8-10" further away from the Mirage.

What should I do? I can buy a length of 1 1/4" tube and using the 2" tube as a template drill holes to fasten the two sides together. The fiddly part will be drilling new holes in the aluminum top straps.

Or, I can cut off the 2" tube flush and find a way to mount a 1 1/4" tube inside the 2" tube. I think I'll be drlling just as many holes as the other method.

Anyone encounter this problem and engineer a solution?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Sigh.

I bought this for $50, it's a name brand, Erickson, really made and only 15 lbs.

The problem is the square pipe that goes into the hitch is 2".

The receiver of my curtis hitch is only designed for 1 1/4" stuff.

I can buy a 2"->1 1/4" adapter but, 1) it's heavy, solid steel and like 10 lbs, and 2) it will move the luggage rack a good 8-10" further away from the Mirage.

What should I do? I can buy a length of 1 1/4" tube and using the 2" tube as a template drill holes to fasten the two sides together. The fiddly part will be drilling new holes in the aluminum top straps.

Or, I can cut off the 2" tube flush and find a way to mount a 1 1/4" tube inside the 2" tube. I think I'll be drlling just as many holes as the other method.

Anyone encounter this problem and engineer a solution?
    Wow, that's too bad. 15 pounds is pretty light - and you got it at a good price too. Do you have any online links to the item? I'll try to look it up but it would be good to see where you got it from.

I have a bicycle carrier (we call it the missile launcher for it's looks) that fits in 1¼" receivers and came with an adapter to fit it to 2" receivers. I'm inclined to believe you're not the first to encounter this, and someone's devised a way to make it work.

I wonder if you could disassemble the basket from the support tube and go from there? That main tube looks like it could be steel, and easily welded. For example, as you suggest that main support tube could be shortened and an adapter fitted inside to accommodate your receiver. I'm sure someone handy with a welder could make it happen for you.

Just thinking out loud - not sure what sort of metal fabrication you have access to.
    Last edited by Eggman; 01-13-2018 at 11:21 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey Wallythacker looks like there's lots of solutions out there for you. I'll post a bunch of options I came across browsing Amazon.

Yaheetech 18" Trailer Hitch Receiver Adapter 2" Receiver Hitch Extension/Extender 551 LB Load Capacity

Reese Towpower 7020500 1-1/4" to 2" Receiver Adapter - 6" Long

MaxxHaul 70355 1-1/4" to 2" (Fits class II only) Hitch Adapter with 4" Rise and 3-3/8" Drop

MaxxHaul 70032 1-1/4 inches to 2 inches Hitch Adaptor

CURT 45785 Receiver Tube Adapter

CURT 45790 Receiver Tube Adapter

This looks really cool. What if you could attach both a bicycle carrier and a cargo basket?

Towever 84191 Trailer Dual Hitch Extension Adapter, GTW 4,000 lbs

Too bad it's 2" and not 1¼".

Or there's this rack similar to yours but is built for 1¼" receivers and includes an adapter for 2" receivers.

CURT 18145 Basket-Style Cargo Carrier

Amazon shows it's only $10 more than what you paid.
    Since it's steel construction I'm sure it's a bit heavier though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I see the latest iteration of my carrier from Erickson is designed first for a 1 1/4" receiver with an adaptor for a 2" receiver. I also note they dropped the capacity from 500lb. to a more reasonable 300lb.

http://www.ericksonmfg.com/product/a...arrier-300-lb/

The Curt carrier you referenced is $127 @Amazon.ca. No surprise, some things here are easily three times the US price for no real reason. I do want to avoid steel for cosmetic purposes as opposed to weight. When al. oxidizes that effectively creates a barrier against a lot of further damage.

MaxxHaul 70355 1-1/4" to 2" (Fits class II only) Hitch Adapter with 4" Rise and 3-3/8" Drop I think this will do it. And it's only $34 on Amazon.ca vs. $28US $28US fees from Amazon.com

In fact I like how I might be able to run it upside down and drop my carrier further. That could be the difference of opening the hatch easily or having to unload some things first.

And I can weld having a variety of Mig/tig/acet gear around. But I'd rather not on a project like this.

Great finds, thanks so much!!

Edited to add:

It's funny as the first thing I propose to move in the spring is my 220v MIG cart from another shop
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 01-13-2018 at 03:45 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    When you do move it take some pics and post to this thread:

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...-G4-Space-Star

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm going to build one of these for my car as soon as I gather all the materials. Great for carrying the trash cans to the dump, carrying the gas can home from the filling station, and other stuff i don't want inside the car.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I'm going to build one of these for my car as soon as I gather all the materials. Great for carrying the trash cans to the dump, carrying the gas can home from the filling station, and other stuff i don't want inside the car.
    All that while training to be a cage fighter. Such a busy life.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-14-2018)