Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Coroplast grill block

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I always have the mail slot blocked...so maybe I should experiment with removing that portion during warmer temps instead of un-blocking the lower grill.
    Its generally better to keep the upper grill blocked. Pushing more air over the hood is better than pushing air around the sides or under the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Impressive. Dude you're always more than a step ahead.
    Thanks!

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just took my Mirage on the freeway for the first time since the grill block modification. Temperature testing time! The coolant temps were rock stable at 195F. Ambient temperature was around 30F. So, I have no concerns about overheating, at least until it gets warmer.

Also, I was able to get a respectable 47 mpg on the trip there and back. Not too shabby for winter.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    This sounds simple yet effective trick to improve mpg.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks. I think it works pretty well. I certainly enjoyed having it on my commute in today when it was 6F out!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just wanted to give an update on this mod. It has been great. I have actually ran it all through summer with no ill effects. Granted, 99% of my trips are pretty short. My work commute is 15 miles on 50 mph or less roads. Most everything else I do is shorter trips than that. So, on those short trips, the engine never gets to the point where it needs to turn the cooling fan on. Without the grill block, the engine will take longer to heat up. Also as a side note, the cooling fan comes on just over 220F according to my scangauge.

However, on freeway trips, the cooling fan will come on after you're at sustained speed for a while. I rarely do this, so its not a big deal. If you do, punching a relatively small hole in the grill block would probably do the trick. I'd start with a 2" diameter hole and enlarge from there if necessary.

Also, A/C is not effected negatively at all. When you turn on your A/C, the radiator fan turns on anyways, so that pulls plenty of cool air through.

I highly recommend this mod for anyone who makes a lot of short trips around town.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I highly recommend this mod for anyone who makes a lot of short trips around town.
    I'll second this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm debating doing a full air dam on the entire front of my mirage, making it smooth like a tesla. I have fog lights on my model (busted out, of course) and was wondering if I could run some ram air through the driver's socket into my cvt, to keep it nice and cool. Thoughts?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't see any reason you couldn't stick some dryer ducting in there or something like that. It wouldn't get as much air to the radiator as a small hole in the grill block though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

Tyrelirwin (11-08-2018)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    It wouldn't get as much air to the radiator as a small hole in the grill block though.
    I do 100% highway driving and it's winter here. I'm not at all worried about overheating the engine. But I do want to protect my transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 36.9 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrelirwin View Post
    But I do want to protect my transmission.
    Protect your transmission in what way - operating temperature?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)