Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Registering a new key in Canada

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Registering a new key in Canada

According to the manual up to 8 additional blank keys can be registered. (5-5) provided there are two registered keys already. For some reason Mitsu (or our dumbass government) decided we Canadians are too stupid to register additional keys.

Has anyone registered a new blank key? Has anyone tried to register an already programmed key? Anyone know how to clear an already programmed key?

I have 3 extra Mits factory keys, two from my prior car and a brand new key I bought from Ebay. I'd like to get them all working with my current car.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    I wonder if those keys are registered? It's my understanding that keys programmed to one car cannot be programmed to another car.

I looked into doing this too. New keys aren't cheap!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My brand new key is, or should be, blank of any programming.

The other two are no loss if they can't be re-registered. I just remembered there is a type of flash memory that allows you to write once. PROM, programmable read only memory. Maybe that's why a key can only be registered once.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I am in the same boat. I lost one of my FAST keys last week, and am looking for an option that does not involve a $400 trip to the dealership.

There are people on Ebay selling these keys that have been "unlocked". Not sure if it works. Even if it did I doubt it would be something the dealer would advertise.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That stinks. Sorry to hear you lost your key. Hopefully it turns up soon.

Since these are transponder keys, I figured that the vehicle computer (either keyless KOS or traditional hardware key) queries the key for its code and the key transponder replies. Therefore the key code is registered with the vehicle and the vehicle code becomes registered and stored in the key transponder. This is what keeps the key from being registered on more than one vehicle. Not that I have any first-hand experience with this - it's just what I recall from wanting to get a third key when I first got my Speck.

When it comes to buying a key online, it would be easy to find a key and put it up for sale to whoever buys it. Maybe it's usable, maybe not. I'm not sure I would want the hassle of finding out.

In that sense, we are forced to go to our Valiant And Benevolent Dealers for transponder key issues - well, the keyless type anyway.

Wallythacker, it would be great if you find a way around this. I hope it all works out for you. Let us know how you make out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Still hoping it will turn up. This is what I was referring to. Not sure if it's legit, but the seller has good feedback and has sold a bunch of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlocked-OE...!US!-1&vxp=mtr

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Eggman (01-18-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    I bought a used 2016 Nissan that only came with 1 fob. I think those can have up to 4 fobs programmed to one vehicle. I bought 2 extra OEM fobs on eBay (with new key blanks) from a reputable seller and made sure the FCC ID matched the original fob.

I talked to a local locksmith who has the latest (aftermarket) software for programming automotive keys. His fee for programming the fobs was only $50. Unfortunately he wasn't 100% certain he would be able to do a 2016. He said he's been able to program some keys in new cars...but the manufacturers were making it more difficult. He said he had one newer Nissan that was a disaster. Apparently the first step in programming a Nissan is to wipe out all existing programming and then re-program all the keys at one time. Well, he wiped out the existing programming for this car...but his software was unable to program anything after that. That car had to be towed to a Nissan dealer where they completed the programming.

I didn't have a lot of confidence in the locksmith option after that (I still remember the fiasco I went through with aftermarket TPMS programming for the Mirage), so I went to a Nissan dealer where they charged me $90 to program my new fobs. It wasn't cheap, but I now have 2 additional working OEM fobs for under $250. That's a lot cheaper than waiting until you're stuck in a bad situation and you have to buy everything from the dealer.

The Nissan dealer had clearly been down this road. The service advisor asked me where I got the fobs. I told him they came from eBay, but that the FCC IDs matched and the batteries in them were new. He just nodded and said they get a lot of people that bring in all sorts of crazy generic fobs from eBay and other sources...and they often don't work. He said the fee to program them was $90...even if the fobs were bad and that they couldn't be programmed. I was fine with that policy.

I did ask the locksmith about programming an additional remote for my Mirage. His software had information on Mitsubishi models up through 2016...but it didn't have the Mirage listed.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-18-2018 at 01:33 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    So I started digging in the service manual and found this.

Name:  key.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  59.3 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wow it gets a separate manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I also found this. Skip to 8:54 if you want to save time.

It looks like we need a MUT3. I'm not sure etacsdecoder can do the job, but that would be worth looking into.

Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)